Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
OK guys I am at my wits end with my car. I can diagnose any sound on my truck and fix it right away, but this car's sound is eluding me.

Here are the facts. I have a 98 VW Jetta 2.0L 5speed with 80K miles. It sounds like I have mud tires on my little Jetta with verry little vibration at high speed. It starts after you get over 40ish mph. The sound is directly related to speed, but not the engine. It is a 5 speed and when I step on the clutch going 70mph, the sound doesn't change. Now here is what is getting me. If I turn to the left it goes away, but if I turn to the right it gets worse.

What I have done. Flushed the tranny. Old gear oil looked great. Checked all the half shafts and they feel tight. All steering linkage looks to be in good order and no slop.

I was told it was the front Passenger side bearing, so replaced it, and sound is still there.

Any help would be appreciated as I cant keep throwing parts at it hoping it is the problem.

·
Registered
241 Posts
My wife had something similar on here 1991 integra back when. It sounded like an airplane, it was a hub/wheel bearing, in her case it was a rear, after it was hit.

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I am considering changing the front left side as I already did the right side in hopes that it fixes the problem.

You are correct when you say it sounds like an airplane. That gives me hopes that it isnt anything in the tranny.

·
Registered
36 Posts
its a wheel bearing with you saying you turn one way and it gets worse and turn the other and it goes away. doesnt have to be a front either. sometimes its the opposite side then you would expect. best way to find it is to take the tire off and feel the play in the hub. one should be much rougher then the rest.
adam

·
Registered
539 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
ok from the answers here and on some of the other forums, I am going to go ahead and change the other one. I will let you know what happens

Thanks

1 - 8 of 8 Posts