Off Road Vehicles banner

Can you rig your truck to shock people???

34K views 36 replies 28 participants last post by  jrhageman 
#1 ·
I can think of no better determent than trying to get into a truck and it giving you a shock. I don't think anything harmful can be had out of a 12 volt....but enough to make it annoying...enough to keep them away and maybe choose another target. What ya'll think? :roll:

#4 ·
There's alarms that you can rig underneath your door handle so that it'll shock people who pull the handle up when your alarm is on. I imagine you can do this to your tailgate as well. Only problem with it is if your girl or someone pulls the handle before you unlock it or something.

Edit: I also do not know about how safe those are in rainy conditions, with static, or anything else...

#6 ·
its hard to colapse the field, because the truck is isolated from the ground with rubber tires. the victum would have to touch 2 different isolated points to make a complete connection, such as under the door handle. otherwise the trucks ground would have to go to the earth's ground, then when the victum touches the body, it would close the circuit. if i were to rig something up like this, i would use a distributer coil. 40,000 volts is enough to set you on your back, but its micro-amps so it wont cause any perminant damage.

#7 ·
On 2002-12-12 09:49, HaWiiLuVeR wrote:
its hard to colapse the field, because the truck is isolated from the ground with rubber tires. the victum would have to touch 2 different isolated points to make a complete connection, such as under the door handle. otherwise the trucks ground would have to go to the earth's ground, then when the victum touches the body, it would close the circuit. if i were to rig something up like this, i would use a distributer coil. 40,000 volts is enough to set you on your back, but its micro-amps so it wont cause any perminant damage.

Gotta watch out for some newer performance coils/systems tho, the can provide higher voltage/high amperage sparks, which can knoc you unconscious and cause some serious damage.

#8 ·
MaddRamm using a car alarm that would shock people might attract more harm to it than usual. Think about this some person walking in the parking lot of a grocery store walks in between your car and another and gets fried...you don't think they will be a lil pissed??? :bigthumb:

#9 ·
On 2002-12-12 10:40, Foolish wrote:
MaddRamm using a car alarm that would shock people might attract more harm to it than usual. Think about this some person walking in the parking lot of a grocery store walks in between your car and another and gets fried...you don't think they will be a lil pissed??? :bigthumb:

I was thinking the same thing, I know if I bumped someones car and got shocked my first reaction would be to put the windshield out of it...Then again, people shouldn't be bumpin' into other peoples vehicles...

#10 ·
actually, now that i think about it more, you would destroy you electrical system. in order for there to be a shock (or trasnfer of electricity) there has to be a + and a -. most likely the body would have to be the +, but then during normal operation it is the -. so you would have to seperate the engine and body electrical system, and then charge the body with the + of the shocking system.

#12 ·
Cabby's in Isreal or someplace always in turmoil have motorcycle batteries powering mess under the rear seats that are set up like a stun gun. Hit a button and the whole back seat shocks the passenger(s) and knocks themout.

They were talekd about on some TV show, but liaility and other legal issues prohibit their use here.

They also talked about flame throwers to prevent car jacking, pepper/mace sprays, etc.

#14 ·
Thanks Jason for pointing out what I was gonna say as soon as I saw the thread.

LEGAL ISSUES !
Personally, I do believe sum scum should get a good jolt if they even think about looking at my truck closer than they should....

HOWEVER, we all know in today's society... everyone is an instant victum, therefore everyone will sue for any little thing.

Think about 5 year old kids that play around vehicles.... yeah they shouldn't be there... but they could be, and something like this could cause serious damage.

It only takes 1 amp to kill a person, though it takes alot of voltage to kill you.

Voltage isn't what get's you.. it is the current.

It can be done easily with a vehicle, and touching a positive and negative to complete the circuit is as simple as 2 thin metal strips located under the door handle that runs parallel, that way fingertips hit both when they goto reach for handle.

Anyhow.. I am not gonna tell ya how to do something like this.. god knows I will be sued for provided deadly force information.....

:eyecrazy:

#16 ·
Interesting this should come up. One of my buddys knew some older guy that got tired of people stealing the hood ornament off of his car. He hot wired it and...

some old lady touched it, shocked her, fawked up her sinoatrial node and caused her to have a heart attack and die. He was sued and he got screwed.

#18 ·
Just make sure you leave a 50lb bag of Cujo feed in the bed along with the dog...

Like our good friend JD8

hahahahahh !!!!

#19 ·
if you look for articles on the "king coil" for motorcycles, you will see what kind of damage those things do. my uncle set one up for a buddy of his in minnesota. guy forgot about it and sat down on his bike and got knocked out. problem was that he didn't fall off the bike. system kept charging up and shocking him until his wife came out to find him in the garage, cooking, literally, for who knows how long. that guy is a vegetable now. trust those who have told you this is a bad idea.

#21 ·
Well this is a true story ...

I got a new/used dirt bike and had to take it down to our local bike shop to get insurance on it. So on the way back from the weekend, I dropped by the bike shop.

Filled out the forms for the insurance and the guy wanted a visual on the bike .. so I told him it was outside in the back of my pickup.

So he goes to to check it out and get a visual report. I guess he was walking around the truck checking it out and decided to lean his head inside the bed of the truck for a better look. .. you could heard it for blocks, one big WOOF. The winows in the bike shop litterally shook.

I had forgot to tell him about my 140lb Akita Alarm :bigthumb:

(He was a little white)

#23 ·
haven't any of you ever gotten shocked by one of those "trick" lighters that someone hands you at the bar when they wanna be funny? They're powered off of a AAA battery, and they give you a painful, but harmless shock. With the right combination of resistor and capacitor, this should be easily achieved by someone with advanced electronics knowledge.

#24 ·
Any just as easy for a fresh outta school Jr. Lawyer to sue me because that harmless little jolt actually killed the old lady that braced herself on my truck from falling in the snow and ice...

I have a degree in electronics, and realize that with today's society.. I would be sued for everything I don't have.

P.S. Ya never know what is gonna set off someones ticker, or pacemaker.

#25 ·
I dont know if they are still around or even legal, but the Viper car alarm. You could leave your windows down, the doors unlocked and if someone got into your vehicle without the remote alarm key then as soon as they tried to hot wire the vehicle, the windows would roll up and the doors would lock, then there was this loud a$$ alarm going off. The only way the thief could get out of it was, if the owner of the vehicle shut it off!!!

I do have to say that was the coolest alarm I have ever seen, but like I said I dont know if they even make them anymore, when I saw this It was several years back, and the install place was located in Las Vegas.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.