Off Road Vehicles banner
21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
ah, sweet...oh well, I have rebuilt my t-case once already, and replaced the chain though

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
sorry... what is PTO?

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
and what is that? sorry to be so "un-knowledged" Power take-off sounds like something to do with aircraft.

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
ok if i have this right it is a gear that you can select and hook up say a pto winch and then you would use the engine to power the winch. guys correct me if im wrong.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
why don't more people do this? where can I find a PTO winch setup?

G

·
You can run a varity of things of a PTO(power take off) most uses today are running hydrolic pumps for tow rigs. You can hook up winches or other things. You have to have the t case in Nuetral to work though
Ive got a 2wd 4 speed manual form a dump truck that has a pto on the tranny

Pto winches are very large. Thats why they are not used.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
yes pto = power take off

it is a selectable option that converts power from the engine (that typically runs through d-shaft to rear/front wheels) to a smaller shaft that can power winches, dump beds, etc...

to help out with mental picture. think of a tractor. it is pto equipped for the primary purpose of a brushhog. but it is a differential operated pto for the sole purpose that you are moving when cutting.

most pto's require you to be in neutral, unless you have 2 transmissions.

hope i helped out some and confused less than i explained.

troy

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
coolest thing i ever saw was a pto winch on a dozer pull a tree that we cut down and that tree was pulling down other trees of equal size on the way out! talk about power. every now-and-then you will see a big pto winch from a dozer or something mounted in the bed of a truck.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
Ive got a PTO winch on my travelall (in profile), and it says its only rated at 9K but that sucker will pull way harder than most electric winches that size Ive used. The drivehaft for that thing is long, I dont think one would be able to hook one up in a dodge up front because all of the crap thats in the way of running a driveshaft.

·
Registered
2,240 Posts
what about in the rear?

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
I know a guy that ran a HUGE PTO winch in the bed of his chevy, he just cut a big hole and mounted that sucker I think... I mean this was a big winch, something like 100K I believe...

·
Registered
4,400 Posts
yeah i would think that people run them from the beds b/c they are closer to the transfer case and also most people that put those suckers on use the big ones from old farm equipment or from dozers or something so they need to make sure they are supported. put it in the front and it might just rip your bumper off. :wall:

·
Registered
528 Posts
The NV231 and 241 are part time transfer cases with a low-range gear system. They have three operating ranges plus a Neutral position. The low range (4L) position provides a gear reduction ratio of 2.72:1 for increased low speed torque capability. NV241 operating ranges are: 2-high, 4-high, and 4-low. Transfer case operating ranges are selected with a floor-mounted shift lever. The shift lever is connected to the transfer case range lever by an adjustable linkage rod. A straight line shift pattern is used.

On the NV transfer case, the gear cases, retainer, and extension are all of aluminum. Drive sprockets and an interconnecting chain are used to transmit engine torque to the front and rear propeller shafts. The mainshaft, input gear, and front output shaft are supported by ball and needle bearings.

A synchro mechanism consists of a brass stop ring, synchro hub with three struts and two retaining springs, and the sliding clutch. The synchro components allow the transfer case to be shifted between 2H and 4H ranges while the vehicle is in motion. However the vehicle must be stopped or moving very slowly to shift into 4L range. Four wheel high and low ranges are undifferentiated. The transfer case is not designed for continuous operation in 4WD range on hard or paved roads. 4WD ranges are recommended for off road operation, or on snow covered or similar low traction surfaces.
EDIT: [Info courtesy of Dodgeram.org]

·
Registered
1 Posts
The 241 transfer case was never an option for the 1500 series Rams, only the 2500 and 3500 series Rams came with 241 t-cases. The 1500 series Rams come with a 231D t-case. There was only one difference between the 241D t-cases throughout the dodge lineup, there was an option for a PTO on the 241D on the 3500 series I believe, not sure if it was an option for the 2500 (don't see why not though). This t-case is a highly desirable one, as it is rated for like 1200 ft-lbs. of torque, and is VERY stout. IF you can find one, expect to pay $700-$1000 from a junkyard. But it is a very capable unit, and would be a good upgrade.
The 241 transfer case was never an option for the 1500 series Rams, only the 2500 and 3500 series Rams came with 241 t-cases. The 1500 series Rams come with a 231D t-case. There was only one difference between the 241D t-cases throughout the dodge lineup, there was an option for a PTO on the 241D on the 3500 series I believe, not sure if it was an option for the 2500 (don't see why not though). This t-case is a highly desirable one, as it is rated for like 1200 ft-lbs. of torque, and is VERY stout. IF you can find one, expect to pay $700-$1000 from a junkyard. But it is a very capable unit, and would be a good upgrade.
I have 2 1500 sitting in my yard and both came with the 241 transfer cases these forums are always misleading

·
Registered
1 Posts

My truck was a stock from factory dodge ram 1500 and it had a 241-D so the do come in 1500s and in later years than 2002!!!!!!!!!

21 - 38 of 38 Posts