Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
554 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I need to replace my transfer case. Will a 241 HD from a V-10/diesel fit without any other mods? I thought in a previous Four Wheeler article, this could be done.

·
Registered
943 Posts
it can be done because the 241hd is offered in 1/2 ton trucks like the offroadster, but i believe someone told me that you have to change your driveshaft, i think i am not too sure about that though

i asked the same question when i blew my t case,

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
The 241 transfer case was never an option for the 1500 series Rams, only the 2500 and 3500 series Rams came with 241 t-cases. The 1500 series Rams come with a 231D t-case. There was only one difference between the 241D t-cases throughout the dodge lineup, there was an option for a PTO on the 241D on the 3500 series I believe, not sure if it was an option for the 2500 (don't see why not though). This t-case is a highly desirable one, as it is rated for like 1200 ft-lbs. of torque, and is VERY stout. IF you can find one, expect to pay $700-$1000 from a junkyard. But it is a very capable unit, and would be a good upgrade.

·
Registered
943 Posts
sorry i was thinking of the 231 hd and 231 t cases for the half tons did not realize you were talking about the bigger tcase

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
No problem, man.

Actually, what you just said is true, the Ram 1500 does come with a 231HD, it is just badged a 231 D to differentiate between the t-cases. The others are 231 J and 231 C. The difference is the Dodge one has a larger output shaft than the other two.

·
Registered
943 Posts
wait the 231d and the 231 hd are the same t case? for some reaosn i was lead to believe that the hd was a heavy duty version

V

·
0 Posts
There wasnt a 241 in a 1500. A 241 should bolt right up. By the way I have a 2500 with a 241 HD with PTO provision. Its an option a a 2500 standard on 3500

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Yes, that is correct. The 231 D (Dodge 231) is a HD version or the 231. The Dodge 231 is the strongest out of all the 231's, because of the larger output shaft, that is why it is called "Heavy Duty". D on the end stands for Dodge.

That PTO version is the keeper of the T-cases!!! Good Stuff! Can you snap a pic of it V10, so we can post the different versions here? I will do a writeup and stuff, that way it is easy to tell the difference. You can send the pics directly to me, and I will post them off my website.

V

·
0 Posts
Ill snap a few pics in a little bit. The downfall to the PTO version is that there isnt a SYE availiable for it. Something about an extra bearing being there.

·
Registered
1,225 Posts
Are all 241 HD cases equipped with the PTO?

I have an 02 Cummins with the 241HD but I don't think it has a PTO.

Thanks,
Sean

V

·
0 Posts
The PTO is the rust colored cover on my pics. If its a HD 241, it will have a pto. 241d's do not.
You pull the cover and put a driveshaft there.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
yeah, mines a 241DLD...no PTO, so what would you say the difference b/c my light duty and the HD's are? Musta missed that option when we ordered the truck...

V

·
0 Posts
I may be wrong but I believe it has a wider chain and I know it has an extra bearing. The HD T case was a 100 dollar option. It came with the truck if it was ordered with the snow plow prep package.

·
Registered
3,818 Posts
oh, I guess thats why, no snow down here...and only $100, damn...shoulda jumped on it, not that my current one isnt holding up...but beefier is ALWAYS better :D:

V

·
0 Posts
You could get it without the snow plow prep option.
The snow prep option was a few bucks more. 100 for the HD case by itself.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts