Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
will removing the muffler cause any ill effects to the engine? A buddy of mine said that the engine needs to have a certian amount of backpressure to operate properly. Is he full of it crap or not? I currently have a flowmaster on, but it is not as loud as i would like it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
If you have to little back pressure it can rob power from the engine. What series flowmaster do you have, If you have a 50 series then drop to a 40 series, it'll be louder. If you want the power than I would stick with the 50, at least thats what Flowmaster told me.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for your advice.

i suppose that burning out the engine would get more costly than purchasing a different style muffler.

·
Registered
537 Posts
Yea. Without back pressure, the engine runs very hard, heats up, and frys itself. Lets see, $3500 for a rebuild, or $300 for a muffler. Tough one.

·
Registered
63 Posts
put on a glass pack or turbo tube they are as loud as a muffler can get. I have a glasspack and is just as loud as my buddys 98 with no muffler.

·
Registered
285 Posts
My 40 series single 3 inch flowmaster will set off car alarms like no other muffler I have ever used. Driving down a one-way city street lined with parked cars gets pretty funny. Is that loud enough? On the highway, the sound is noticable but tolerable even on long trips. I think my muffler is a original style flowmaster, not the newer deltaflow. I like the distinct flowmaster sound.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Hey, you need back pressure. If you run with no muffler though you'll be all good. The engine isn't going to overheat just because there isn't a muffler. That's absolutely insane. If you take your muffler's off, and your engine overheats and dies, I will buy you whatever engine you want. You do have coolant, a radiator, and a fan don't you?

Do you have a temp gauge on your block? Try taking the mufflers off and driving around for a month or so. See what the difference in operating temp's are. Don't forget to check your local laws regarding exhaust, catalytic converter, muffler, and decibels.

·
Registered
220 Posts
removing the muffler wont hurt your truck and it will probably improve your performance. it probably won't even be that loud. and if your running temp get's higher it's not your exaust that's doing it.

·
Registered
803 Posts
Does anyone here remember that there is a cat in line here? There should be enough back-pressure with that alone to provide enough back-pressure for two 5.9s. I took my muffler off and put a cherry bomb on. It sounds very good considering I have not done my headrs yet. But it was louder without the cherry bomb.

·
Registered
255 Posts
I'm sorry maybe you could explain it to me. I don't understand how headers that are heat treated to withstand high temperatures could possibly burn up just because you removed the muffler? Please explain.

·
Registered
174 Posts
I have an 82 Ram Charger and i have 15in glasspacks on my dual exhaust and it sounds good. Plus you can hear it coming and it has the perfect rumble to it. I is awesome to hear it on the trails, so i am told.

·
Banned
2,769 Posts
haha fry your engine?? no i dont think so. people run straight pipes all the time. ya im told that dodges need some back pressure to run right and all but you can still go with a straight pipe. if you look at summit racing youll fine a muffler called worlock where you can take off the cap on one outlet for straight pipe or leave it on for normal

·
Registered
63 Posts
I was told by a muffler shop today that the only way to "burn up" a set of headers is to have less than 3 ft of pipe wiht no cat. or muffler. he said removing the muffler would never burn the headers. on his drag car the only thing that happens while running straight off the headers is it goes through gaskets pretty frequently.

·
Registered
255 Posts
That's right. But why don't you try just unbolting the headers and run open block completely! I tried that with my buddy's truck, we were just gonna drive around the block when we were doing a header swap. We didn't even make it a mile before the cops pulled us over. My friend starts going into this complete b/s story about how we were swapping the headers and needed some bolts from the hardware store and had to drive to get them. BUSTED, cop gave us a warning after yelling at us for an hour about how we are polluting the environment, disturbing the peace yada yada yada. lol :eek:: :):

·
Registered
234 Posts
Hey, whay dont you try a glass pack? They are really cheap and probably wouldnt be much quieter than no muff at all. Plus you would still have a muffler on there for back pressure purposes.

·
Registered
807 Posts
taking off your muffler isnt going to do much to your engine. its not gonna hurt it if you still have the cats and its not gonna give you any performance either. it'll just make it louder. i have a 2 chamber flowmaster on and its sounds good. flowmaster says its the loudest most powerfull muffler they have. at least as a kit thats the loudest one they offer.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I know a few people that don't run mufflers. Just straight pipes after the cat. I know one guy with a Chevy like this and you would never know there was no muffler. I do not know anyone that did this with a Dodge. Everyone around here uses the Flowmasters on their Dodges.

·
Registered
923 Posts
I'll throw in my two cents, that's about all I can spare. The motor has to have backpressure to run right. If there is not enough backpressue the engine breathes too much and combustion doesn't take place efficently. You are basically blowing all your gas/air/power out of the motor. This is an extreme scenoario. We are talking two feet of three inch pipe per manifold and nothing else. The stock cat. provides more than enough backpressure to make your motor run well. Cut the muffler off right at the end of the cat. You don't need anything else, the light won't come on, it won't be annoyingly loud, and its free. Flow is important and benneficial to the motor, however like your mother told you, too much of a good thing is a bad thing.

1 - 20 of 50 Posts