Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
182 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
hey I think you can only get about an inch by ajusting the torsion bars. you dont want to do much more then that from what I here.

·
Banned
2,769 Posts
ive been told before not to really mess with the torsion bars and wait for the money to get a real lift kit. i always pass this knowledge on b/c i believe its the best thinking. dont go more than 1.5". liks subs said cv angle is pretty harsh

·
Registered
47 Posts
You can get 3 inches from cranking up the bars (I did this so I know) and it places no additional strain on your CV joints at all, but I would recommend not going more than 2 inches. I rock crawl all over creation in mine and have had ZERO problems. The ride will be stiffer, and you will lose some articulation because of that. The wear on CV joints comes from running bigger tires or using spacers. I run 33's on my 99 Sierra and have had no issues at all, and GMC says you can run up to 36's with out over stressing the front components (but you'd need a good 7+ inches of lift to run them). If you want more lift than 2 inches check out http://www.hill4wheeldrive.com and look at there Front Leveling Kit. That and a body lift will clear 35's.

Sniper

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hey I got a 2002 Dodge ram and i turned my tortion bars up 6 3/4 turns by my self and it gave me two full inches in the front! Dont worry about premature wear that wont happen as long as you get it realigned and keep the joints well taken care of!

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
you guys lost me on this one ....

your going to crank up the torsion bar .. which will increase the angle on the cv joints ... and it's not going to make any diff on wear??? don't think so.

·
Banned
2,769 Posts
i just put something up on the general chit chat section. i was set straight by my local shop on this issue. just make sure to align the front end and you should have no problems

·
Registered
3,670 Posts
yes you can crank them up ... i have a 4.5 lift and them crank up to 6 ... guess what wears out on my truck?

·
Registered
40 Posts
ok, I plan to service my Ranger here for the summer season, this includes tire rotation and balance. I assume I have torsion bars (98 Ford Ranger IFS) so I can turn these up 2 full inches, get her serviced and have no problems? If this is true:

1. How do I adjust these torsion bars and how do I find them (I'm not mechanically inclined when it comes to vehicles - really dumb it down for me)?
2. Do i need any special tools that I wouldnt be able to find in a "normal" toolbox (hammers, socket wrench, screwdrivers, etc)

I'm sure this sounds like a really stupid question to you guys, but if I can get two inches of lift without spending any extra money, I'm all for it. Thanks.
-Eric

·
Banned
2,769 Posts
im not much of a ford person at all so im not sure if you have torsion bars or not. if you do they will run from about the middle of the truck to the front suspension. they are pretty long so you should be able to tell pretty easily

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
rangers dont use torsion bars until '98. you got just the right year. before that they are all coil springs. if you want 2" of lift look at <!-- BBCode u2 Start -->http://www.daystarweb.com" TARGET="_blank<!-- BBCode u2 End -->.

1998 2500 RAM V10 4x4 Red, Daystar 2" spacers, K&N, Magnaflow, 285-75R16 BFG A/T(33"). 38's and a 6" lift on the list.

·
Registered
40 Posts
the reason i ask is that when i pull up to a same year ranger, i am definitely taller, even with the same tire brand and size, body type, etc everything identical. so I know that i have something making me taller in the back, but I am clueless as to what it is and how much it is, maybe they are spacers, but all i see are the springs so maybe it is those. in any event, my front definitely is not sitting even with my back, the back sits probably an inch or two higher by my best estimate. it looks cool and all, gives it an aggressive look to it, but Im trying to learn all i can, if i can even it out ill try it and see if i like it, if not i have learned something new to pass on to my friends to make me look smart :):

·
Registered
721 Posts
cranking up the torsion bars changes the caster and camber on the front end thats why usually as long as you align it afterwards it will be fine...
as far as the cv shafts goes some small ifs lifts use the stock cv shafts and lifting it with a lift or cranking the bars up will treat the cv shafts the same...

·
Registered
45 Posts
that cant be true, think about how youblow up cv joints! i plow snow with a 91 1500 and if i dont disengage 4 wheel when turning, they blowup really fast( beleive me ive done it already, not a smart thing to do) so if when you increase the angle in the horizontal plane they break, but if you increase it in the vertical plane they dont. Thats where im lost...

1 - 19 of 19 Posts