Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
305 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
It's time to buy a new truck...and I have decided on a late model Ram. I have been able to find a couple extended cabs in the 98-00 range with appx. 50k miles for about $15k. Is there anything I should look out for while test driving, inspecting, etc? Someone told me they have seen Ram's in that year range with transmission noises that can only be heard when the truck is cold. Any ideas or info. is greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Do you plan to tow anything? If so, you might think about a dodge diesel. Better fuel economy, more grunt (for pulling) if your not interested in diesel, look at 2500's. I believe the front wheel bearings are servisable, where as the 1500 are not. (someone correct me if I'm wrong)

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Nope, all late model Ram 4x4's use unit bearings...

·
Registered
88 Posts
I've had my 98 ram quadcab 1500 5.9L 4x4 for about two years now (bought it at 28000 miles paid 17000). I've got 60000 on it now and have not had any real problems with it. Buy one!!! Best Damn Truck I've ever had.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Mike is right, at least get a 360. As for my '99 I haven't had any major problems. I've put 41k on it and changed the transmission fluid around 30k and no strange noises.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have a 99 1500 ram bright yellow and I love it. Its always loaded with Paintball gear for the team and just keeps on going. Beautiful truck. Hey Jason want to do my brakes again. Good luck finding a truck bro, Rams the only truck to own.

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
since you're looking at trucks with around 50k miles on 'em check the u-joints and front main seal. i bought my 99 and made the dealership replace both u-joints(lot of slack) and fix the front seal. I would also go w/ 5.9 cause i got the 5.2 in the reg cab and i really don't think it would cut it in a big 4 dour beast

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
alphcowboy (or somthing like that is selling his ram on the site if ya'll are close check iy out.

whoever has the BRIGHT YELLOW ram, what PAINTBALL team do you play for. is it reck ball or serious tourrny?

·
Registered
91 Posts
I really don't want to turn this into an engine comparing session but you guys are nuts to say that the 318 can't move these half tons. My 318 does better than the 350 my wife has in her Yukon. And the difference between the 318 and the 360 is 15hp and 35ft/lbs of torque, that's not much compared to how much more a truck with the 360 costs. I will admit I wanted the 360 when I bought mine but it was cost prohibitive, meaning I got an awesome deal on the 318 and have been more than happy with it. The only thing I can think of that might help you guys with your argument is that mine is a stick so I can take the rpm's higher, so in that sense the 318 with an auto might be a little on the slow side, but who wants the auto with all of it's problems, the stick is the only way to go for playtime and I guarantee my 318 will keep up with all you guys with the 360 auto's.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Cost prohibitive? $290 option for the 5.9... Unless you add in the extra $900 for moving from a manual to an auto transmission....

But the 318 is plenty, but if you lift, you NEED to do gears. The 5.9 with 3.92s is ok with 35" tires, but not greatly happy. The 318, even with a manual, is heavily under-powered with 3.55 gears and 35" tires.

Another thing to check is the track-bar. Have someone turn the steering back/forth, and watch the end of the bar where it attaches to the frame. Any kind of "popping" movement, and the dealer should replace it.

Also check for brake-pull to the left or right when stopping. (don't buy the truck if it does, don't bother with having the dealer try to fix it). Although a going track-bar will also cause this, so if it does it after the track-bar is replaced, definitely stay away.

Get a full list of recalls performed, and don't let them flash the chip to fix any "pinging"? You'll lose a few hp in the process. They basically cut the base timing back 4 degrees or so... Better ways to fix the problem.

·
Registered
896 Posts
A 5.2 might be okay in a 5 speed regular cab, but not in an automatic ext cab.

I've driven one with 3.92's and 265's and I'm not impressed. I like to be able to climb hills and pass without it kicking down to 3rd or even 2nd, and you can't do that in this truck.

Not saying the 4.0 I6 in my Jeep is a speed demon or anything either. Because it lacks power on the highway too. That 318 ROCKS in a Jeep though, because it weighs close to a ton less than a ext cab Ram.

I can't prove this, because I don't have the dyno chart for this, but I believe a 4.0 actually makes more low end torque off idle than the 5.2.

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
360 cost prohibitive over a 318? What planet are you from? Now I can see if it was like a four grand difference such as the diesel, but a few hundred bucks in your overall payment doesn't exactly break the bank. Also, if your 318 is blowing your wife's Yukon away she must only be running on four cylinders......gimme a break.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
On 2002-03-21 18:49, BiggerBird wrote:
Hey Jason want to do my brakes again. Good luck finding a truck bro, Rams the only truck to own.

Whats up JMan! Sure, email me and we can work out a time when you are back in CA (or have you moved back permenantly?)

On 2002-03-22 00:06, BigGreenMonster wrote:
whoever has the BRIGHT YELLOW ram, what PAINTBALL team do you play for. is it reck ball or serious tourrny?

It ain't ******* paintball (well they have a rec ball team and a tourney team). Serious tourney stuff. Nearly gone pro, a few of them had some offers...

They are running with Angels, c**kers, etc. Got the scuba tanks happening for air, sponsorships, tourney's from Seattle to Vegas and LA. My brother co-founded the team....

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
On 2002-03-22 17:51, punkineater wrote:
360 cost prohibitive over a 318? What planet are you from? Now I can see if it was like a four grand difference such as the diesel, but a few hundred bucks in your overall payment doesn't exactly break the bank. Also, if your 318 is blowing your wife's Yukon away she must only be running on four cylinders......gimme a break.

i have a 318 auto q.c., still kicking myself in the ass for not getting the 360. but when i bought mine the sticker price between the 318 and the 360 was close to a $1000. everything else being the same.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
Hey guys, I have to agree with lsgibb on the engine issue. I've NEVER been a 318 fan, believe me. And I've had both 318's and 360's and I must say that there isnt' much difference. As far as the 318 not handling bigger tires..I'll buy that, makes perfect sense.
When I was truck shopping I saw the truck I currently have now and thought it looked good until I saw that it was a 5.2...didn't even want to drive it after that. But my brother talked me into at least trying it out and I have to admit, I was impressed. I've driven a couple of late model 318's that were pooches as well...I do have to give it up to Chevy though. I drove a new Z71 with the 327 and that thing halls major ass in comparison.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I am selling mine if you are intrested, its a bit more than what you are looking at because mine is LOADED. But you might want to take a look, its in the FS section. Its a 2000 QC 4x4 1500 360. It has had some issues, but they have all been taken care of and is in damn good shape and runs VERY strong now! Unfortunately I just can afford it anymore. If I take some of the toys off it I might drop the price down to the 20k range... let me know what ya think.

·
Registered
1,012 Posts
I'm thinking of selling mine as well. There's absolutely NOTHING wrong with it, as a matter of fact, it's showroom condition inside and out. I'm just ready to get a diesel. It's in the Readers Rides section (not a very good pic) but if you're interested shoot me an e-mail.
It has just under 25K miles on it. It's a red 1999 QC 4x4 1500, 5.2 auto, 2" Daystar spacers w/285/75R16 Bridgestone Duelers AT's, cat back exhaust, nerf bars truly a beautiful truck...

·
Registered
91 Posts
As for the price difference, if you walked onto a lot and compared prices between a truck with a 360 and one with a 318 all options being the same you are right the difference is only less than a grand, but the dealers are always offering extra deals on the 318 when I bought mine the sticker was $27000, $28000 for the 360 but it was a labor day sale and they had all their 318's marked down $6000, so for $21000 compared to $28000 that is a huge price difference in my book, maybe I just don't have deep pockets like some but $7000 makes a big difference on the payment. As far as passing power doing 65 I just drop it down to fourth and that thing gets up and boogies, also by the way I am from Earth since someone on here asked. If you are looking at a dodge stay away from the auto's. Dodge can't make an auto transmission that won't need replaced before 100,000 miles. I know there are a few exceptions, but not many.

·
Registered
896 Posts
True. I'm just waiting for the autotranny in my Jeep to go out. But most people don't like standards. I know I'd never buy one.

Unless I had a diesel, maybe. Then I could just leave it in 3rd or 4th around town and drive it like an automatic since it has so much torque.

I used to do that with my 6 speed LS1 Firebird. As long as I didn't have to come to a complete stop, I could just leave it in 3rd around town.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts