Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im looking into a custom steering system and I came accross this company...just thought Id share it with you all...

http://performanceunlimited.com/steering/steeringsystems.html

...Woody was looking into a custom set-up from Arabia's, so Im going to wait and see what he can do, since he's local, but I would like a similar set-up! :D:

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
I noticed that at the bottom of one ormore of their steering pages, that they mentions off-highway use only. Need to check legality of steering components with spherical rod ends (heim joints)

·
Registered
424 Posts
I liked the fact of the bullet proof - I want pictures to see Dodge style set up.
Jason, where did your steering system come from?!
John

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Mine is a custom deal from a lcoal 4x4 builder.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I called performance unlimited a few weeks ago and talked to the guy that owns the place, if you saw the 1998 Top Truck Challenge than you may remember him, he had an old Black Broco with a 427 in it, with the 44"s he broke and didnt finish all the events, anyway I talked to him about the setup for the Ram and he said the tierod probaly has to be bent to clear the pumkin and they dont like to bend the Trail Proof Tubing, so youll need to upgrade to Race Proof Tubing. So it will cost you $369.00 + $70.00(race proof upgrade) + (shipping) So it will end up running about $450.00 bucks lus shipping, but you can upgrade to the "ROCK PROOF" for an extra $20, I think thats worth it, I'd like to have some on my truck.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Tunis, for those prices, go talk to Jeff Arabia.

We looked at my truck about this before I decided to get the sliders.

The tie-rod will likely need to be bent slightly, which will weaken things some.

Also, Jeff mentioned that running a heim above and below the same point on the knuckle will eventually mangle the knuckle as the steering will put a twisting force on the bolt that holts the two joints to the knuckle. Not good.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
My tierod is straight. It just touches the trackbar bolt head but clears the diff cover without impacting turning radius.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
SWEET!

That's definitely good news. But you still have the inverted-Y setup, right? Doesn't that "tent" up the assembly by the passenger spring-perch?

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Woody,
Let me know what you find out when you talk to Jeff again. You're right, for that money, I'd rather have Jeff do it..and he's local too...

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Nope, mine is an inverted-T. The tierod goes from knuckle to knuckle and the draglink attaches to the passenger side tie rod end

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I tried earlier to get ahold of him, but no luck.

His numbers on the website:

http://www.arabiasautomotive.com

1 - 11 of 11 Posts