Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Was going to extend the breather from the trans. but couldn't find it. I found the transfer case breather. Does the trans./t-case use just one breather? Also where does the breater line go, couldn't find out where it ends? :-?:

·
Registered
472 Posts
I don't think there is one--I've had my transfer case out 4-5 times and the only connections are the 4 black vacuum hoses on top--I never followed 'em so I could be wrong--and again I'm pretty sure there isn't any on the tranny--but I've been wrong before-and I'm not sure if diesel and gassers use the same transfer case and tranny and I've got a diesel----chris

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I know the lines your talking about but ther is another line above those that look like a breather. I could be wrong and it might be the vacuum supply to the t-case. the trans./t-case has to have a breather or it would force fluid out the seals when it gets warm.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
My understandin is that the breather is actually at o rnear the front pump, in the bell housing behind the torque converter. From what I hear, there is no way to extend it.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
On 2002-01-18 16:43, JasonB wrote:
My understandin is that the breather is actually at o rnear the front pump, in the bell housing behind the torque converter. From what I hear, there is no way to extend it.

jason you are correct and thats why i will never take mine mudding. plus ive heard a couple of horror stories about the trans "ingesting" some slop in through there and causing a new trans.

·
Registered
27 Posts
On 2002-01-18 16:43, JasonB wrote:

Thats true. I think that on some other (automatic) trannys the dip stick tube will double as a breather. There is a possible way to "extend" the breather tube behind the torque converter. But it will require dropping the tranny. First, drill and tap a hole on the top of the bellhousing, and run a hose to someplace high up. Then after the tranny is reinstalled, use a gasket sealer and caulk around the inspection cover on the bottom of the tranny. And seal the starter in as well. Basically what this accomplishes is that you've sealed the atmosphere in the bellhousing and provided it's own breather hose on top. If it works, what should happen is, the original breather will operate as normal, but will vent into the sealed bellhousing and both should vent thru the new hose. Keep in mind that the problem with venting will not prevent water from entering in the tranny. It's like trapping air in an upside-down glass which has been submrged. Make a hole in the glass and it will flood. Thats because air takes up space. Making a hole will provide an escape route for the air to vacate and flood the glass with water.
Ed

·
Registered
472 Posts
that's good info guys--since I've yet to drop the tranny I didn't know it was there---if the t-case has a breather it must be one of those hoses--I just never followed them to see where they went--always in a hurry to get things back together----chris

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
thanks for the tips. im just going to leave it alone for right now. i got home from our trip today and all i can think about is the lift now.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the tips. im just going to leave it alone for right now. i got home from our trip today and all i can think about is the lift now.

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
Rich,

This is off the subject! When is the lift going on? Will it be on for the next run? Hope to see you then...

·
Registered
26 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Tunis
I ordered the lift today!! After talking to all of you guys I desided on a Skyjacker 5" single flex kit. i ordered it thru Summit Racing equipment, best price,free shipping, no sales tax, and i always had good experiences with them. It sould be here begining of Feb. If I have to I will pull all nighters to get it on for Hollister!!!!
:D: :D: :D: :D: :D: :D: :D: :D: :D: :D: :D: :D: :D:

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
That's awesome! No more debating whether to tackle an obstacle or not, huh? And we were going to turn around!?!?! :lol: ha!ha!ha! :bigthumb:

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
What would the reprocussions be of plugging the vent hole? Or maybe plug that vent hole and tap a new vent off of another area of the trans???That may turn out to be easier.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
If you plug the vent hole you will need to create anew one. When the fluid gets hots it expands and you need to be able to let the fluid force the air out, otherwise it could blow a seal and you leak. When it cools it needs to contract and thus causes a vacuum so teh vent lets it suck air back in to create equal pressure. If you don't have a vent, it will sooner or later blow a seal and then you will be sucking in water if you do that (the water will instantly cool the tranny when you hit it and thus create the vacuum when you are submerged and suck water in through any leaky seal)

·
Registered
502 Posts
From what I am reading hear Dodge did not think about anyone actually using the 4x4 as a 4x4 if they put the vent in a place like that.

I might be a little nervous about taking my truck through anything too deap after reading this.

demontweak1,
you should have a couple of the guys come over and help you wrench so the kit will go on faster.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Bill_L,

You pretty much got it right. Dodge didn't think much about off-roading the Ram when they designed it, including the Off-Road series.

I'm still running hte stock breathers, and have only had problems with the t-case, but it's only a matter of time...

I've been told you can easily extend the vent lines by using 9/16s fuel line, but I haven't confirmed this.

But running all the lines up to a very high, sheltered spot is about the best you can do. I've been thinking of running them to the top of the bed, bewteen the bed and the cab, as that area tends to stay pretty clean. Then fab up some kind of cover for them, and use a small K&N filter with a water jacket cover to limit dust/water from getting in, just to be safe.

·
Registered
923 Posts
After all that I am somewhat confused, what keeps water from getting in the bottom of the inspection cover right now? I hope that the tiny gap at the bottom is not the vent? If it is I need to do something before water goes inside the tranny and ruins another one. Surely someone out there has a good simple way to seal that gap at the bottom and still let the tranny breathe.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts