Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anyone have an idea on how long new gears need to be driven to be broken in? I know there is a certain mileage after putting them in that they can't have a heavy load on them.

·
Registered
24 Posts
It has been awhile since I'v done a gear swap but if I remenber it's something like canshaft break-in 20/20. Drive truck normaly "granny style" and get the diff up to temp for 30min to 1hr and they should be good. Anyone please correct me because it has been awhile!

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
most folks feel that under 55mph for 500 miles if at possible. stopping every 15-20 mintues to let them cool for the first 50 miles. change fluid after 500 miles. no heavy loads (towing, wheeling) right away either, but WOT is okay to work harden the teeth.

that is what i have been hearing

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Hey Jason do you use 90 weight gear oil with your 4.56's?

·
Registered
923 Posts
I would agree that new gears need to be broken in, I took it easy on mine, got them up to operating temperature and have been romping ever since, however, someone mentioned to me that on a new truck there are no mentions of breaking in those gears, they are brand new too. Right? Just an observance, if anyone knows they don't say to baby them, I would like to know why.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Well since I don't do any towing I don't need as long of a break in period. I figure 15-20 miles light driving, stop and let them cool down then another 15-30 miles. Genuine gear says thats what should be done without any heavy acceleration.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
On 2002-02-13 11:51, Outlaw Ram wrote:
Well since I don't do any towing I don't need as long of a break in period. I figure 15-20 miles light driving, stop and let them cool down then another 15-30 miles. Genuine gear says thats what should be done without any heavy acceleration.

the break in procedure the jason gave is what ive always heard and did. no matter if you tow or not.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts