Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
i have a 95 ram 1500 with a dana 44 front axle and recently i replaced the drivers side wheel bearing.the universals,and the brakes. now whenever i turn right while driving there is a loud grinding coming from the driverside wheel.when i took it apart the rotor seems to be rubbing on the nuckle.to fix that i quickly put washers in between the rotor and the wheel bearing and it went away for about 3days and now its back.i have had 3 mechanics look at it and they cant figure it out, if anyone has had this problem or has an idea to fix it let me know.thanks

·
Registered
1,681 Posts
Is it rubbing on the knuckle itself or the thin dust shield behind the wheel bearing? If you put that dust shield on backwards the rotor will rub. :bigthumb:

·
Registered
612 Posts
washers behind the rotor is :bad: are you sure that you got the right brake rotors when you did them and are you sure that the dust shield didn't get tweaked when you did it

·
Registered
12,648 Posts
:withstupid: I had the same problem on both my Ram and XJ...it was the dust shields that were tweaked. It would only happen when turning. The reason it did this is that metal is flexible and what not.

I would suggest first removing those washers before something implodes, then hit and bend the dust shield back. Because there is no phsyical way the rotor can be touching any part of the steering knuckle!!!

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
everything is the right parts for the truck and i beven got a brand new dustsheild and its not touching that its hitting the nuckle....as for the washers they were intended as a temporary fix...but they dont seem to work :wall:

·
Registered
193 Posts
check ur new wheel bearing it could be faulty and ur whole tire is moveing back and forth causeing ur rotor to move around and hit the knuckle. it happend to me once, replaced the hub bearing and it was fine. i dunno if thats the problem but just a suggestion hope it helps.

Rob

·
Registered
612 Posts
On 2005-12-11 11:07, Madd Ramm wrote:
Because there is no phsyical way the rotor can be touching any part of the steering knuckle!!!

:withstupid: if they are all the right parts it's not possible, post up a pic and we can get an idea what's going on, the brake rotor and the knuckle turn together so they never get closer or farther apart they're always in the same position relative to each other

·
Registered
612 Posts
it sounds like rob is probably right as a bad wheelbearing is the only way that the rotor and knuckle wouldn't be always the same distance apart

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
yea i think that robs idea is my last resort im goint to try and look at it tonight mabey ill take some pics so u guys can see what im looking at.

·
Registered
2 Posts
I have had too replace a wheel bearing twice on my dads truck because the replacements were allowing the wheel to move in too far. The brake rotor was cutting into the bolts for the caliper and the axle was shoved in too far wearing out a bushing inside the cad housing. These were both on the passenger side though. I got one from advanced auto and one from autozone they were both junk.
I hope this helps

·
Registered
1,065 Posts
In all my years, I never heard of using washers on a axle, spindle or what ever unless said axle was made for those. Using more washer's than intended is just plain Jessy Jackson :fu:

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
ok i have resolved the problem :bigthumb: it turns out the replacement bearing i got from advanced auto was actually sliding in and out of itself and the more i drove on it the more it pulled in(complicated to explain if u saw u would understand)anyway i took it back and went to carquest and got a new one and so far its fine. i think the initial replacement i got from advanced auto was from a company called dynapack so if anyone needs a bearing stay away from from that manufacturer.ayway thanks for all the help hopefully i wont have this problem again.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
yea i guess im very luck that my wheel didnt fall off.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts