Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hey guys, im blowing big time blue smoke out my exhast, which means oil is burning. any ideas where it might be coming from? my cousin thinks that its the rings. others have told me that it could be the valve guides or seals. any ideas would be helpful.

·
Registered
213 Posts
Is it just at start up or all the time??

Just at start up would most likely be valve seals. All the time could be rings or a gaske on th intake or the head. I'd start pulling the plugs to see if any of them are oil fouled or wet.That would atleast give you a idea of what cyl has the problem.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
rent a compression tester from pepboys.
i would bet its probaly the valve guides or seals though. especially if it mainly does it after you first start it up.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Yeah definitely do a compression test, thats the best place to start.

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
haha funny jason.

the smoke blows all the time but really bad when i put my foot into it. im gonna do a compression test soon. i have one of my own. i need to pull the plugs and read them. would bad rings burn that much oil though? i wouldnt think so but then i havent seen any engines with bad rings. thanks guys.

·
Registered
464 Posts
If it blows all the time it could very well be bad valve seals. If its blowing smoke and you feel a loss of power (and remember, compression is power) than you've probably got bad rings. If no power seems to have been lost it could be a bad intake gasket or bad valve seals. I compression test will only test for rings, a cylinder leakage tester is a much more indepth test. But it does require some skill/knowledge in order to do it right.

If you wanna drive her out to Phoenix I'll diagnosis it and fix it for the cost of parts (I have all the tools) and a 6 pack or beer :):

-Chris

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
thanks for the offer chris, but i think id be stopping to fill up with oil more than i would for gas. im gonna stick a vaccuum gage on there too to see if that is unusually low. that would show signs of bad gasket.

·
Registered
464 Posts
Do a compression test. the tools are farely cheap at your local parts store... That test will tell you alot about yout engine. Each cylinder shouldn't be more than 5-10 psi different than the others. Also if you do this disable your ignition so the engine will not fire up.

-Chris

1 - 10 of 10 Posts