Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Alright, looking for info regarding these tires. I just got two flats yesterday and both are irrepairable. Which is a better tire as far as road noise? Which is better as far as actual performance? And lastly, which has better tread life?

Any other information regarding tire selection would be great!

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
ATs will always last longer and be quieter due to their smaller void ratio (tighter tread). The MTs will perform great off road and do fine on the street. Depends on how much traction you really need. If you wheel, but nothing very hard, go with the ATs. I ran a set for 40k and they were fine for the basic wheeling I used to do. They suck in sticky mud though or any mud over 4-6" deep (dirty water not included).

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Well, after reviewing all the reccomendations and reviews by the tire rack, still trying to decide. Now I am interested in the Yokohama Geolanders, and Dunlop.

On the BFG MudTerrains, are there different kinds? KA. KO? Not sure.

The Costco near me sells the Mud Terrains and I can get a set of four of them for about $418 mounted, balanced, road hazard, everything.

I would probably be getting the stock 235/75/r15, cause my car has no suspension lift yet.

·
Registered
267 Posts
tom runs the same 35" bfg mud's on his jeep that i have on the burb. they do alright if you stay out of the lake. neither of us aired down at tuttle. road noise really isn't that bad, even in the open jeep.

·
Registered
362 Posts
Its just my $.02 worth but so far I love my Procomp Xterrains. I had I chance to run through a little mud last night on my way to my friends house on the river to go fishing and they did pretty good, no complaints, they cleaned well and pulled straight on through. Now this wasnt 10 ft deep mud but more like 1 to 1.5 foot nothing to extreme.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Nah, I think elmers got all terrains. 31s. Thanks for all the info. I think I am going to get som Mud Terrains. Dont want to get stuck in that crappy a$$ mud anymore.

·
Registered
464 Posts
I beg to differ on that Hawii... Tho I'm sure the MT's are better in the mud that the AT's are, I had my 35's burried WELL over the top of the tire and about 1/2 up my doors in snot mud and had NO problem getting out of the whole (about 35-40 feet long).

-Chris

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Only things bad I've ever heard about the BFG MTs is that they don't clean in gumbo mud, and that the sidewalls aren't strong enough.

But then, my MTRs don't clean well in sticky mud. But there's not a lot you can do there.. I was seeing boggers full-up with mud the same day.

MTRs are loud on teh road, compared with BigO XTs, and BFG MTs. However, they are amazing off-road and in the snow.

Another big selling-point on the MTRs is that they are supposedly one of the most puncture-resistant sidewalls available. I haven't tested that yet, though.

But that price on the MTs sounds good.

Yokohamas don't last long on a heavy vehicle, they are a softer compound rubber, and wear faster.

I've got 5K on the MTRs, and can't really tell the wear, but I rotated them anyways. Time will tell. 10K will be a good point to see where they are at.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
well Hawiiluver has the BFG AT KO's and Im runnin the new Procomp all terrains and in our little expiditions in mud/water/dirt/sand the ProComps have out performed the BFG especially in mud.
One night at a local mud hole we went through some pretty nasty stuff then headed less then a 1/4 mile down the street for some food and my procomps where practicaly clear of mud as Hawiiluvers BFG's were still caked with mud.

·
Registered
255 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Well, thanks for all the info guys.

Does anybody else have any suggestions? Money is tight for this small purchase but I want to make the right purchase. This car is almost daily driven on pavement but does take trips and tries to go all out in mudholes. Really want something that will perform well in mud like 10 feet j/k like a foot or two deep and do some light rock crawling. Anybody doing the same thing please give me your input. Thanks again for all the help guys and gals.

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
I have AT's and i havent had any problems with them. They are quiet and do great off road. If you go in sand at all i would suggest getting these tires as well. I can get through just about all of pismo with mine in 2wd. As far as mud is concerned, I havent had any real problems with them, i may not do the most extreme mudding around but im happy with them and they are great on the street. As far as rock crawling is concerned i thing the new KO version that BFG just came out with for their MT's looks a lot better for crawling because of the new tread design that is supposedly designed for crawling. They are a lttle noisier but if you dont mind it i'd go for the MT's. Personally i dont think you will be dissapointed no matter what you decide on.

·
Registered
88 Posts
The Bfg at k/o are the way to go for what kind of driving you say you do. I love mine. The procomp at is a good tire to but I think the bfg tread is a little more aggressive looking.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts