Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
503 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
All i ever hear is dodge = bad trannys!! am i building the right brand of truck!are these trannys that bad are these superswampers realy gonna trash my tranny!! Have big tires wrecked your tranny??what can i do to prevent it!!besides stay outta overdrive!! lol

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Just regrear. Big tires with tall gears will kill any automatic.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
ok.... for the heck of it the last two days I have stopped using OD unless on the freeway and doing 65 or more... and I will tell you... WOW, my MPG average on the OHTC has jumped .5 MPG so far! I say dont use it, I think that is what has killed my torque converter 2 times now!

·
Registered
969 Posts
Don't listen to that crap about dodge always having a bad tranny. I have 175k on mine and its never been touched, thats with 36" tires.

·
Registered
203 Posts
i have 68,000 on mine. ran 35 inch tires for two years on stock 3:55 gears. no problem with my transmission what so ever.... i think its a matter of good preventive maintenance...

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
i think its luck of the draw, I killed the first tranny at 27k with the original tires! I didnt baby it but I didnt beat it either, again it died at 43k... dont know what to tell ya

·
Registered
46 Posts
Ever since dodge made the 727 overdrive it has sucked ass, I had to put a new one in my truck @ 53k and I didn't beat on it or anything, some people make out good with them, others don't. I had them swap in a 46r into mine, but I think I should have gone with a 47r(behind the cummins and v10), but I don't knwo if it the same bellhousing pattern. I haven't heard anything bad about them, have any of you?

·
Registered
67 Posts
A good friend owns a 98 with the 5.2L in it, and has had to replace his tranny 5 times. The last time he went to the dealership, told them its theirs and doesn't want it anymore.
I have almost 60k on mine yet I've had no problems (knock on wood). I hear if you get a good one, you're set for the life of your truck, but if you get the crap, you're screwed.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
The reason that you guys have not had problems with your trannies, is due to the fact that you have different trannies, 44RE I think. 98 and up Rams have the supposed "new and improved" 46RE's in them, and they suck. I have had mine in the shop 4 separate times, and the stupid thing is STILL broken. A 47RE will bolt right up to the V-8 motor, remember that 3/4 tons have the V-8 (360 only) as an option for a motor. That is what I am looking for, a 47RE, but they are hard to find used. Just take care of the tranny as much as possible, do regular fluid changes, regear if necessary, and don't thrash on it. Stay out of O/D when you are cruising around town, it will prolong the life of the torque converter. Other than that, you will just have to roll the dice and maybe you will be lucky, and maybe you won't. I had a '96 Ram 2wd, and I never had a lick of trouble with the tranny. Get this 2000 4wd and it is trouble city for the tranny. But rest assured, you are not alone in your venture...there are many out there with bad 46RE's like yourselves...

·
Registered
2 Posts
As a transmission rebuilder I can tell you that it is in fact a matter of luck concerning the a518 and a618 trannies in Dodge products- some I dismantle have overheated most simpply break! These trannies are actually stronger in O.D. than 3rd gear!Any lifted rides come through our shop with anything bigger than 33's and Im warning of the potential disaster-the best thing to do is gear down the diffs.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts