Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I am a experienced Toyota owner. I have had a total of 6-8 different Toyota's and much work and lifts down to them. I have only switched to a Dodge just for the room and size (Family and all now!)
I hope to answer as much as is asked, help find the info you might need and keep this forum clean, tight and kick ass!
If there are any questions or help y'all need (Toyota related) please feel free to ask away!!
Thanks for the time and I hope to bring compact trucks to this site as much as the full size!

John

·
Registered
83 Posts
i also would like to offer my toyota knowledge which goes back about 14 years and about 28 trucks now.

most of my experience has been with 79-89 trucks and runners.many,many parts and if you look under FINALLY FOUND A YOTA FELLAS thread you will see whats up with a truck i bought about 2 weeks ago.

im sure between luvto 4by and myself you questions should be covered.thanks

you can email me at [email protected] if needed or a message here.im sure between

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I appreciate the offer 68! It's nice to know your there if I get stumped!! HAHAHA - just kidding - I noticed alot of how your very personable and I see that as being an asset to this board and it's members. Thanks for your honesty and for the chance to sare your knowledge! :):
John
LUV24BY

·
Registered
768 Posts
I've got an '85 SR5 with 33x12.5's. It has stock gearing (4.11?). I think the recommended gears for 33's are 4.88. What would be the effect if I got 5.29 gears instead (want bigger tires someday)?

·
Registered
424 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Depending on whether or not you have an automatic or manual tranny will be the difference in knowing your gear ratio. I think manual tranny had 4.10's and autos had 3.92 or 3.50's. If you are going to just 33's for now, I would say stay with the stock 4.10 if that is what you have. Once you go to a bigger tire you will need the 5.29's (over 36" tires.) I would go 4.88's w/ 35's and if you plan on 38's or 40's do the 5.29's. The only problem with the 5.29's is the pinion is the weak point do to the amount of teeth and you can spin them easily if not cautious.
John
You agree 68??

·
Registered
1 Posts
I would disagree. 5.29's are the only way to go. I know people with 4.3 vortec's, ultimate crawlers and 37" tires and still they're not breaking them, so as long as they are set up right there shouldn't be a problem. In a year when the 33's are bald and the 35's are looking good you won't regret it!

·
Registered
5 Posts
Ive got a stock 82 toyota and want to get some "cheap" mods for it that will increase HP and milage . and may be a header or all new exhaust system . could u shed some tell me your opinon on these things and which is best.
PS this is my daily driver

·
Registered
721 Posts
from what ive seen in the toyotas around here automatics came with the 3.50s and a 3.92option and manuals came with 4.10s mostly although ive seen some that had a 4.88 option from the factory...
as for putting 5.29s in if you do find a well known toyota and/or axle shop to do the work because with the fewer gears on the pinion the clearances are tighter and are even more important to get within spec than usual...

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Ive also seen that the 4 cly. was more likely to have the lower gear installed too from the factory, probably to help out its lack of H.P.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts