Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have an '81 CJ7 with the AMC 20 in the rear. I know that this is the wimpiest axle to end up with, and i was just wondering what the limits on it would be, like tires and off-road use. I currently have 35's on my Jeep, and wonder if i should swap out the rear before it breaks on me in the middle of nowhere.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
I'd swap it out toa D44 at least. If you are going to swap to the 350, you may want to look for a D60 even. Ratio and lcoker options for both those are enormous. Might as well swap a 44 up front as well. Go full width and get some extra stability and flex (more leverage on the springs)

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
The AMC mod 20 axle is wimpy, with the stock 2-peice axles. However, The ring & pinoin are larger than that of a dana 44. The axle tubes of a dana 44 are noticably thicker though. The AMC 20, with 1 peice axles installed becomes a much better axle than the stock AMC 20.

·
Registered
954 Posts
Troy is right. The one piece shaft is the best mod for the 20. If money is tight do the shaft and call it good. You could get a boneyard 60 or Corp14, shave it, narrow it, adn call it a day too :wink:~

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Hey Cord, I like your new jeep name! ToyJ-7
It fit's. Level 3 511 done. Level 4 next week!
Later...

1 - 6 of 6 Posts