Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
does anyone know if a 2500 axle, rear end would fit in a 1500? most of the 2500 have posi's don't they? does anyone know the most common gear ratio in them? i think probably the hubs would be the 8 bolt. what i pretty much want is some taller gear and posi in the rear. what can i get? thanks

·
Registered
969 Posts
The rear axle is a Dana 70 which usually run 4.10 gears, but the gear ratios can vary.

·
Banned
1,533 Posts
Well in the rear of my truck I have a Dana 60 (its a V8) in the diesel (auto)/V10 it will have a 4.10 ratio. In the 6spd diesel it will have the Dana 80. You can do it but you may have to change out the spring perches cause we run 3" wide springs and yours should be 2.5" wide. The common ratios are 3.55 and 4.10. Most cummins guys don't like to run 4.10's as they rev the engine higher at Hwy speeds.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Are you running a 4X4? You wouldn't want an 8 bolt in the rear and 5 in the front. Why not put a locker and gears in what you have?

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
i was thinking of the cost. i just mainly want a locked rear end, not completely locked, just like the posi chevy and trak lock fords. also, i will eventually in 3 months probably have 35" tires, what gear is best with those? 360 1500 4x4

·
Registered
432 Posts
Sounds to me like you should sell your 1500 and get a 2500. Might be cheaper in the long run. If you can't bear to part with your 1500, then do it right. Buy a good suspension lift and a set of air lockers. Get a shop to install the air lockers when you have 'em do the new ring and pinion. There are NO shortcuts. You don't want to be cussing yourself for scrimping on parts when you are halfway out of a ravine, just before dark, rain coming, out of beer, 60 miles from home... and something breaks.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
It will cost you more to buy the 2500 axle then it would to have a locker installed in your 9.25" in your 1500.

Unless you are going to all 3/4 or 1 ton axles with the approriate upgrades, it woul dbe cheaper in the long run to stick with your 1/2 ton stuff. If that breaks, then start the upgrade...

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
okay. i've decided to get gears and have them put in. where do i find a factory posi unit to have the gears put in? none of the 94 1500 came with posi did they? right now i'm getting about 12mpg with 285's and stock gears, what should i expect w/ those gears and 35's? thanks guys, the help is much appreciated. i just found this forum, and i've had a list of stuff to do to my truck but was leary about what to do until now. once again, thanks

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
br, i will sel you my old posi for cheap. where do you live? i have a 96 1500 (chy 9 1/4.)

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
i live in upstate NY. zip code 13634. with this posi i can just put new gears in right? thanks

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
i will check on the shipping. it should not be too bad. the new gear will go on the posi unit.

·
Registered
19 Posts
My '98 v10 has 3.55 gears, and with the 35's I've got on there I get about 12-14mpg on the highway and 4mpg if I waste a tank in town. I think I'm going to install 4.10's just to get a little quicker acceleration.

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
you'll like the 4.10's. thats what ive got.

br, i dont know if you might still have to have someone set up the rear end with that posi unit. if i were you, i would just go for a locker, or at least a better posi. i have found that the factory posi works when you dont need it, but doesnt work when you do need it.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I agree with ya. My factory posi in my 96 1500 would lock up completly lock if I drove the truck on a long straight run. When I questioned Dodge they said that it was normal and after the drive to find a big open lot and do figure 8s to get it to unlock.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts