Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a 1990 dakota, and i wnat to swap out the power train and axels.
i have acess to what i belive is an early 80's long box crew cab 1 ton 4x4. it has been rolled and written off because of body damage. ive seen "wickedakota"'s truck and am quite impressed with it, but i'm worried that my axels will be allot wider than the ones from a ramcharger and may cause stering problems.
any sugestions or should i just go for it?

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
if the '90 dakota isnt your only means go for it, and have the know how and tools to do it. i guess it also depends what year the 1 ton is. engine swaps cant go old into new but new into old. i have a couple of friends swap older motors into new cars and trucks, one had to take it out because the motor wasnt smog legal for that year, the other didnt have a problem. ever see a S10 with a 454 in it? it doesnt leave much tire left!

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
if i was going to do the same thing i would no doubt use the axles and probaly the transfercase too. if you do not use the case you have to find a passanger side case to go with the front axle. i would use a gear drien np 205, bulit proof! if that is what is on the truck grea, if not do some lookin and tradin'. the transmission will either way be a non o/d unit, so that is up to you. the 727 tourque flite can handel monster power, and a buddy of mine allways killed his motor before the granny low 4 speed went. if you want more top end you can either get a nv4500 or a o/d or gear splitter kit for the 727. as far as the motor, i wanted a small block i would prob build a magnum 360 or stroker. if you want a big block order that 500 inch wedge. remember, if you go changing the drivetrain you will have to non-computerize the whole truck, or find a EFI kit to replace the factory one.

and yes the axles would be wider than the truck, so you could just live with it and sling stuff everywhere or have them shortened.

·
Registered
1,481 Posts
Ive got the Torque Flite 727 in my truck ive heard of it lasting 350,000 miles. I wouldnt worry about the noncomputerized stuff its much easier to work on if its not all electronic. The axles will be wider than the stock axles, i bought Bush Wacker extend a fender flares to cover the tires up. Your going to need all of the drivetrain because of the right side diff one the axle and the stock dakota has the diff on the left.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I say "1 ton stuff is great! the bigger the axle the better!" What axles are you getting? I imagine a Dana 60 and a Corporate 14 rear? That is what I will go to here soon...If you need some advice on this, e-mail privately, I have been researching this for a long time, adn I can tell you the Advatanges/disadvantages of doing this and what you will need to make it happen. Let me know...

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Well ive talked with the owner of the one ton... he is considring a price(hinted under $1000 canadian)
the partts truck has ither 4.11 or 4.56 gears, dana 70 front, and corperate 14 bolt rear. good 16 inch wagon wheels... the tires just hold air. small block, minus the destributor so the engine is questionable, it was to dark out to check what type of t-case was in it but its got a 727 tranny....

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
DANA 70 FRONT?!? And yo uare still thinking about it? GET IT!!! that would be an AWESOME combination offroad...talk about NEVER breaking anything again! GET IT!

1 - 7 of 7 Posts