Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Here are the pictures of how/where my CB is mounted in my truck.

wiring connections:

cb being inserted into the dash:

full front shot of the cb:

picture of the overall dash:

·
Registered
36 Posts
Hey,
Is it hard to take the outside case off of the CB and how do you do it? Also i wanna get two antennas for my mirrors. What are the best kind to get? Also how do you hook both of them up at once? Do you connect the wires together and have one connector or should I just hook one up and have the other one on for looks?
Thanks

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
There are small screws on the outside of the case. Take those out and the cover pops off.

As far as antennas go I personally like Firestik's. http://www.firestik.com They have some good FAQ's their also that you might want to check out. For dual antennas they make special Y cables.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Haw: Uhm... no... I actually got them for doing crazy stuff at one of the local bars last summer. No exposing of ones self though.

Nick: The ashtray.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Nice install! Do you have any engin noise from mounting it there? (unless your driving a diesel, your radio is about 1.5 feet from the distributor) COOL deck also! I have the identical deck installed in my truck.

·
Registered
493 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks!

No noise to speak of. It's pretty well insulated from the engine compartment or else I would assume the radio would pick up noise also.

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
snowjay: good to hear there was no exposure. haha :):

as for the radio noise that is usually caused by bad grounds. if you are getting that noise in either radios, you can do a couple of things. replace your cap/rotor/wires with radio suppresion cores. check the gounds of your radios, make sure that good contact is made. get a noise suppressor. i think you can get those at any stereo shop or pepboys or jcwhitney.

·
Registered
962 Posts
Is there a bevel running around the CB? I couldn't tell from the picture. If so did you make/buy it?

Looks cool. I also have the same deck...

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Me and wickedakota did some experiments with his CB anntennas. He has one on one side of the bed and the other on the other side. We hooked one up and turned the squelch to where it didnt make the static sound. Then we hooked the other one up and it started makeing the static sound. So we decided that they were canceling eachother out so we only have one hooked up and it works perfectly. We talked to our neighbor, he drives semis, he said that they have to be 9 feet apart if you have them both hooked up so they wont cancel eachother out. Thats just what I found out.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
To correctly run dual antennas, in addition to placing them 9' apart, you also need to run different wiring to properly termiate the signals.

Kinda like running to stiff or too soft of a shock.

Truckers run the dual antennas becase it either doubles or quadruples the range forward and rearward, which is great on the highway. But it kills the range to the sides. Best case, nothing goes out the sides.

That doesn't work well on a trail-rig, when the person you need to talk to could be off to your side.

Another interesting little bit is that co-phased antennas (duals), only get their gains while transmitting, not receiving.

For instance, an un-tuned antenna will receive perfectly fine, but will destroy the radio when you go to transmit.

Transmitting and receiving are very different.

·
Registered
2,275 Posts
Firestiks and Bulldog2 CB anntennas are nice. One of the kids at our school had firestiks those are really nice, adn wickedakota has Bulldog2's and they are really nice also.

·
Registered
2,000 Posts
has anyone used the firestik usa antenas:-?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I have a pair of firesticks(only one hooked up) they are the 4' ones. they are nice for offroading, but dont have a very long range.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
I think as long as you keep the ignition stock you'll be fine for engin noise. I was with my dual band ham radio, and my HF rig, until I installed the Jacobs ignition system. (yes, radios were properly grounded) filters didn't help. I ended up totally removing the dual bander, relocating the HF radio, behind the passanger seat, and keeping the face plate up front. Re running the coax and power lines to keep as far away from the ignition components as possible. (meant running the power lines up the passanger side to dual battery and keeping coax clear of engin compartment.)
When my ignition was stock, no problems! After putting that monster spark system in, I have basically a huge "spark-gap genarator" (term for a old fashioned broadband CW transmitter) Once I removed the HF radio away from the dash, the noise went away.
This problem will go away completly when I get my new diesel truck!

1 - 20 of 20 Posts