Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Anybody used a 46re from APS???
A couple weeks ago my tranny was slipping and/or unlocking the TC in OD. I had the fluid changed and bands tightened - no change - the old fluid looked fine but was noted that some metal shavings were in the pan. Found a post about the TPS and replaced that a week ago. It seemed to more or less solve the problem. Then yesterday it puts out a code p0740 - TCC circuit malf. SO........ the dealer says that the diog. shows that the TC is actually ok, but the tranny failed a flow test and needs a rebuild. Was not able to give more specific info. They want $3400 for a new one w/12month 12k mile warr. SEEMS steep for 12/12,000 miles. I am not sure how long it will last - the tranny seems to work fine - shifts solid - 54K original miles. Has deep pan. APS is close by me - can I just drive it until failure and call APS to replace it??

Thanks for any advice!!

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
You can get a badass transmission from Wayne at APS for $3400 and it has a better warranty. You better order it now though, he takes a few weeks to build and you'll be better off to put in a new one before the old one goes out totally. It doesn't sound like the stock one is going to last much longer.

·
Registered
122 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks for the tip on lead time. I guess it's hard to dish $3k to replace a tranny thats working fine. I understand that internal leaks will get worse not better - but I just drove it over the mountains to Reno and back with no problem. It even locks/unlocks the TC correctly in D. It will also lock the TC running 1800 rpm @ 65 on the freeway. I'm hoping it will go a few months if I baby it?

·
Registered
1,589 Posts
On 2005-12-13 20:38, BLACKSNOW wrote:
A couple weeks ago my tranny was slipping and/or unlocking the TC in OD. Then yesterday it puts out a code p0740 - TCC circuit malf. SO........ the dealer says that the diog. shows that the TC is actually ok, but the tranny failed a flow test and needs a rebuild.

That is funny because when my truck had fault code P0740 stored, my dealer said that was directly related to torque convertor failure. They took the trans out and did $1700 worth of powertrain warranty repairs.

Oh yeah, and when the P0740 code came up, the TC was locking and unlocking all the time and could not hold anything steady.

·
Registered
992 Posts
If your gonna do it, get the aps. I had mine rebuilt by a local aamco for almost the same amount I could have gotten the aps, and the only upgrade I got for the price was a shift kit. Then the new tc blew up a week later(after being told the ones they get are better than the ones from auto parts stores), they fixed it under warranty though. :kicknuts:

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
WOW that aps is 3400 buck, ouch! i was gonna look atthem if mine blew again but dam thats steep. how much does a regualr tranny go for from the dealer? or maybee do they have something a little less pricey?

·
Registered
3,059 Posts
On 2005-12-14 04:44, BR wrote:
that is odd, my aamco rebuild was only $1200 with a shift kit and tax.

No offense, but that was because it was Aamco. I bet you'll get much better quality from a specilist like APS rather than a "chain" of shops, even if transmissions are their focus.

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
has anyone thought about getting a tranny from thefastman.com?
This is the route I am going when my tranny takes a {expletive}.

Premium internal components, optimized clearances, specific oiling modifications, and specific valve body modifications allow these Street/Strip transmissions to produce excellent shifts at wide open throttle, while being totally street able during daily driving.

As with the 500 and 518 transmissions, full automatic functions and full OD functions are retained.

In these applications the ECM has control of WOT shift points when the shifter is in the Drive position. However, when manually shifting above the preset ECM shift point, the transmission will not shift until the shift lever is moved into the next gear.
The 46RE Street/Strip transmission is built to handle approximately 700 horsepower.
Price………….$1500.00
The 44RE Street/Strip transmission is built to handle approximately 500 horsepower.
Price………….$1500.00

$1500 is a pretty good deal for the power handeling capability.
IMHO.

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
No offense, but that was because it was Aamco. I bet you'll get much better quality from a specilist like APS rather than a "chain" of shops, even if transmissions are their focus.

but, the other guy said he paid almost $3500 for his aamco rebuild, that is what i was referring to. the aps are new trannys, with much better aprts, so obviously they are going to be more money. i was not comparing my rebuild to aps, but was comparing his aamco rebuild to mine. the fastman for $1500 doesn't sound too bad, its probably an old core though right?

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
, its probably an old core though right?

by 'old core', you mean a used case? probably, i don't think he could offer them for $1500 by purchasing brand new cases from dodge. :roll:

Regardless of that, all the interals are premium, which is what really matters since the Dodge trannys are not sealed pressure setups anyway.

V

·
0 Posts
From what Ive read APS builds a good tranny, but when I was rebuilding mine, I tried to get a hold of APS numerous times and they never once responded to me. Pretty crappy customer service if you ask me. I dontthink DTT builts 46 tranny's, but if they do, get one from DTT. Great customer service and high quality parts.

·
Registered
1,797 Posts
hmm the fast man makes trannys too? id def pay 1500 bucs for one of his trans, his customer serivce is superb, or so i hear.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
Deuce,
Aamco is a franchise, yes, but that doesn't mean every last shop builds them the same way. Some shops rebuild 'em like what the book (per Chrysler) calls for, and you end up with what? The same fine product that Chrysler pushes out its doors. Other Aamco shops can and will rebuild your unit to the way you want it or with improvements shops like what have been mentioned make.

Does Aamco specialize in specific units (such as only Chrysler 46/47/48R units)? No, but an educated transmission repair man/shop, who stays "in the know" can rebuild a unit just about like any of these "specialty" shops.

If any of you guys are of the mindset that shops like APS, DTT, "The Fastman" start with brand new cases and all brand new hardparts (cases, drums, sunshells, input shafts, planetaries, etc.), I think you're misinformed. Well, maybe they do install all brand new parts in a tranny they charge $3500+ for, but at that price, I'd hope so.

·
Registered
783 Posts
:withstupid: Thats a great price. I will definetly look into those when the time comes. I'm at 154,000 on my original trans with no problems yet.
:smash: ON WOOD!

·
Registered
2,370 Posts
If any of you guys are of the mindset that shops like APS, DTT, "The Fastman" start with brand new cases and all brand new hardparts (cases, drums, sunshells, input shafts, planetaries, etc.), I think you're misinformed. Well, maybe they do install all brand new parts in a tranny they charge $3500+ for, but at that price, I'd hope so.

Who said anything about brand new cases? I don't know about the cases, drums, blah...What I do know is what feedback he has recieved from his customers, and said feedback supports my decision to go with his tranny. If his tranny's handle 700 HP, they can damn sure stand up to my applications.

First find a reputable shop, then call said tranny shop and ask if they can rebuild a 46RE tranny to handle 700 HP for $1500...and have them warranty it for 12/12,000.

whiteram4x: I am doing the same, gathering information now so when the time comes I don't have to run around like crazy.
103,000 on original tranny, so far so good.

·
Registered
992 Posts
On 2005-12-14 05:35, BR wrote:

but, the other guy said he paid almost $3500 for his aamco rebuild, that is what i was referring to. the aps are new trannys, with much better aprts, so obviously they are going to be more money. i was not comparing my rebuild to aps, but was comparing his aamco rebuild to mine. the fastman for $1500 doesn't sound too bad, its probably an old core though right?

My rebuild was just under 3 grand. for a few hundred more I could have had the aps. I dealt with the owner the whole time, he really did not want to put the shift kit in it. I would have hate to have seen what they would have charged for the 47 parts to upgrade mine. :cuss:

·
Registered
2,605 Posts
that is unreal they charged that much. the aamco here, the owner is a family friend, wanted to put the shift kit in, and also mandated that i get an external cooler and they would install it for me. mine was $1250 with the cooler install, shift kit they bought, rebuild tranny, 12 month warranty with the option for another $300 to get a 36 month warranty.

·
Registered
1,686 Posts
Sure my tranny might last 12,000 miles behind 700 hp but how much longer after that? I just don't believe $1500 will buy you a 700 hp handling transmission....but I hope so because that is the way I am going to go soon.

V

·
0 Posts
Price is nuts because all parts getting replaced cost about 500 bucks. All the rest is labor charges

1 - 20 of 41 Posts