Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
To me, this seems like the best lift method for the rear. I was wondering how people like it.

How much lift did you get from it? I was thinking maybe some 3" springs for the front of my dad's Ram, and a flip kit for the rear. Would that sit pretty level, or rear high, just like stock?

Thanks.

·
Banned
2,769 Posts
im pretty sure their is a range of how much you can get out of the flip kit. not to sure but i think the maximum is like 5 or so. just a shot in the dark though

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hmmm, so maybe 3" springs in the front, and the 5" flip kit with the stock rear block removed would sit pretty much level then?

Reason I ask is that the rear block is tall enough already without adding another one, I'm not a fan of AAL's because they stiffen the ride, and a new spring pack is a little pricey.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
The B.D.S. shackle flip is supposed to give you 5" of lift according to their website. We are talking about a 1500 RAM right? Its not really just a shackle flip its a whole new bracket that bolts up.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Yeah, a 98 1500. I'm just wondering, the wheels are always turning in my head when it comes to stuff like this.

I know how the flip works, it changes the shackles from tension to compression. So with the flip, the shackle will point down, like a Toyota or a Jeep. You have to torch off the old one, or drill out the rivets, and then mount the new shackle and bracket. I've read write-ups on this about the Chevy kit, but haven't seen anything about the Dodge kit mentioned anywhere.

I was thinking of doing this to my old K10 to get rid of the 4" blocks, but I sold it first. I really wish I had kept that truck. Oh well.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
B.D.S. Stands for Big Dick's Suspension and they only make a shackle reversal for the 1500's and the narrower springs, they reason they cited for no 2500 application is not enough demand, I had called the guys a while back and asked them about it.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Big, do you happen to know what the web address for BDS is? I'm having a hard time finding it.

I also have an idea how you can do a homemade shackle flip. If you can somehow get your hands on a set of the stock 2500 spring hangers that go at the front of the rear springs, could you mount those up in the rear hanger location, and fab up a set of custom shackles to run on the front style mounts? Know what I mean?

I haven't looked at the mounts, so I have no idea if this will work or not, but just a thought.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Mike97ZJ,
I have the BDS shackle flip in the rear of my 99 and It causes a problem. It rotated the pinion angle up way to much (8 degrees past driveshaft angle). this also causes the driveshaft to be to long (it ate the rear dust boot on the t-case), and a bad vibration from the U-joints running at opposite angles. The tires are now pretty close to the front of the fender and anything bigger than 35" would hit. BDS said there would be none of these problems when I called them before I bought it. I am unsatisfied with BDS and would not recommend them to anyone. three more things, The brack were marked wrong when I got them(left bracket marked right..ect., they were not welded straight so the springs are 3/4" farther apart in the rear than the spring hangers in the front, and the hardware they give you to bolt it on the frame is garbage. other than that no problems!
Demontweak

P.S. To fix all the problems You could just lower the front hangers about 4-5" for a 7-8" total lift.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Demon, thanks for the info. Don't think I'll be going that route after all then.

So if the shackles rotate this pinion that much, maybe they'd be more effective when used with lift springs? Since when you use taller springs, you need to rotate the pinion anyway. maybe ths shackles could do that for you instead of using tapered block or shims. And it owuld cut down on the size of the rear spring needed, and less arch = better ride and more flex.

I don't know alot about driveshaft angles and suspension geometry, so I'm just taking a shot in the dark here.

Just the ramblings of a bored mind.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
I have heard of a lot of people haveing good luck with the BDS though, and actually it has been recomended to me almost everytime for a lift when I have asked...

1 - 13 of 13 Posts