Off Road Vehicles banner

21 - 38 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
532 Posts
On 2008-03-03 06:25, piper wrote:
Thats so the carbon will build up and they will blow more smoke pulling.

Haha that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard of, diesels need to be warm and up to operating tempatures to perform good. That's why they sit there and run...to warm up not build carbon up lol.

I'd like to see someone pull 80 lbs of boost through a turbo that is ice cold

·
Registered
143 Posts
Im know gass guy expert. iv had nothing but diesels. but wont running straight pipes on a gasser take away horses?

·
Registered
1,489 Posts

·
Registered
59 Posts
Haha that's the dumbest thing I've ever heard of, diesels need to be warm and up to operating tempatures to perform good. That's why they sit there and run...to warm up not build carbon up lol.

I'd like to see someone pull 80 lbs of boost through a turbo that is ice cold

Ya the engine has to be warm but y do they idle for more then a half hr.

·
Registered
532 Posts
:dunno: Because it doesn't really hurt anything on a diesel. It's better to let them run then to start and stop them, especially when your talking pretty heavily modified trucks. Black smoke in diesels isn't built up carbon either it's un-burnt fuel caused from over-fueling. There are tons of threads on it on the site if your interested, do a little searching and you'll find something if you want to read up on it.

·
Registered
59 Posts
k w/e i was just going on what i was told. i got a buudy who pulls his truck. I went to a pull with him and asked y the trucks idle for so long and that was the answer i got. And no offence he probly knows more about the trucks then you.

·
Registered
2,574 Posts
On 2008-03-03 11:36, piper wrote:
k w/e i was just going on what i was told. i got a buudy who pulls his truck. I went to a pull with him and asked y the trucks idle for so long and that was the answer i got. And no offence he probly knows more about the trucks then you.
i think your friend was blowing smoke up your ass

·
Registered
404 Posts
now i dont know if its true or not but my brother in law told me if u let a diesel idle to long u can or will start washing cilenders. I dont relly know what that means to be honest, from my understanding it has to do with fule runing past the rings and he said that is vary bad. but like i said dont relly know for a fact :sorry:

·
Registered
345 Posts
On 2008-03-03 11:41, okiebronco wrote:
i think your friend was blowing smoke up your ass

That will happen when you sit on top of the stack.

:rotfl:

·
Registered
160 Posts
On 2008-03-03 08:41, doodah wrote:

it sounds alot like a new ford 6.0 powerstroke,......could always tell poeple your sporting a 6 liter!!!LOL

Except the big V10 badge on the side of the truck. haha

·
Registered
194 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
you are all way off subject lol but i dont think my truck would sound like a ford they are normaly silent when they are found on the side of the road dead

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Ever notice the trucks ideling for and hour or so before they pull. Thats so the carbon will build up and they will blow more smoke pulling.

Sorry Piper,
Your friend is either pulling your leg, or he is dumber then you give him credit for!, I have been around sled pulling for years and have been pulling in the 8000lb street stock, diesel class for quite some time now, and thats gotta be some of the stupidest $hit I ever heard!!!, why on earth would you WANT carbon buildup???, a heavely modded diesel truck, even with all the air cleaning tech in the world, is gonna smoke givin the fuel these trucks are pushing!, we dont need no frickin Carbon buildup!, and dont tell me the "gasser boys" are trying to get thier trucks to ssmoke like diesels, by letting the carbon build up!, I dont buy it for a second!..... the street stock class boys run their trucks to keep them primed, why go out when the engine is not rready to perform???, know the big boys, alot run dryblock engines, thats why you see them getting towed to and from the track, only ment to make a run down and maybe get it back to the trailer..... sorry, but your wrong.... :roll:

·
Registered
59 Posts
ya I already said i probly was wrong. It was 5 yrs ago when i went to that pull it was the one in angola. And just for the record its prolly my bad not his cuz he smart as hell when it comes to the automotive. If yoiur wondering he's a level 4 mechanic for chrysler and he works for daves diesel in angola IN. So i probly just got {expletive} mixed up, i dont know that much about diesel.

·
Registered
1,135 Posts
I dont have any pics but I used to have stacks on my old ram. 3in pipe I painted them black and got alot of compliments from people. sounded great was even louder with the rear window open. I bounced the truck so much while wheeling they split so I removed them

·
Registered
292 Posts
Go for it!!!! Just get pictures and try for a sound clip maybe video with 'em up and running.
I'm bored with my factory setup and have been toying with the idea on my v-10 as well.

I kinda like the idea of running straight cut pipes with flappers, but i'm not sure yet.

-Kevin

·
Registered
2 Posts
Its gay. Stacks go on diesels not gassers but its up to you.
Check Yer history-gassers had stacks before dieslels where even THOUGHT of,let alone made.
Besides,what you worried about...coolness comes even in commenting on how you feel bout sumpin.

21 - 38 of 38 Posts