Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
With the double-flex control arms, you have heim joints at both ends. How much road vibes come up through the frame? Bad, or just a little?

I know an all heim-jointed jeep will be beaten to death, but with the weight of a ram, and the heavier interior, I don't think it will be as bad.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Woody,

I dont have a lift yet but while talking to the guys at 4 Wheel Parts one of them was telling me about some kind of death shake that the double flex systems would get every once in a while. He said that you would have to come to a complete stop in order to get it to go away.
I have yet to be able to confirm this with anyone.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That's most likely a blown track-bar (likely on a 5" lifted Ram using the stock bar, as Skyjacker does), or a bad steering stabilizer.

I've had it from both causes.

Trackbar should be in tomorrow (#3 on my truck).

I'm curious because the fab shop I found recommended a rubbing bushing at all frame mounts, instead of poly bushings or heim joints, due to ride quality.

But he mainly deals with Jeeps, which weigh nothing, and aren't nearly as vibration damping as the Ram is.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Woody,

There really isnt anything wrong with having the hiem joints. Every part of the suspesnion on my mustang is a hiem joint and with the motor I have the car vibrates alot.
I have yet to notice any issue other than a more firm and solid ride.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
That's what I was thinking. That the ram could deal with an all heim-joint suspension.

I mean, there's something like 3500-4000 (or more) pounds on my front axle... That's a lot of weight to try and make vibrate.

I tend to have more problems with oscillations than with vibrations (springs too soft vs. too hard), except in the back, which is ALWAYS harsh.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
i had gotten my double flex by accident.
4wheel parts sent me that instead of the standard links. i wasnt going to complain.
i didnt think about any shaking or anything do to that, i just figured it was the noisy swampers.
the skyjacker used a stupid design for the heims though. they only used one jamb nut instead of two. makes setting them up and adjusting a pain in the ass. or they could of incorporated some sort of nut on the tube like most 4 link suspensions have.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts