Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I do, it AIN'T PRETTY! While commuting home at 6 in the morning this morning, after a 12hr shift, my oil filter decided it wanted to do a jiggle! Somewhere on the hwy is a "SPLAT" of fresh 10w30. Noticed my oil idiot light on, then my oil guage at ZERO (at 55 mph! mind you) Spincter inhaled my seat, fortunatly I approached an off-ramp and was able to stop and shut her down.
With oil dripping from every sq. inch of the under carriage, I climbed under to investigate what the hell happened! ( just happened to have a brand new 75pak of shop rags in the back also) with rags in hand I got an oil shower while looking at the oil filter. It was LOOSE! Apparently, during my last oil change, I went, just that tiny bit to far on tightening the filter on. Hand tight, plus a little. that's all. That's worked for 5yrs I've had her. well, as I tried to re tighten the filter, it got almost tight, then......Loose! The threads in the filter were hosed! I thought hopoefully, I could get the filter back on tight, get the 2qts oil from the back and make it home. YEAH RIGHT! "not gonna happen" "Wouldn't be prudent"
About 5 minutes after I stopped, the HYW tow driver (a tow truck appointed to our strech of hwy) wittnessed my "smoke screen" and turned around and followed the smoke till he found me pulled over. He knew I wasn't going far!. He radioed for a rotation tow.
1.5hrs later my girl was in tow, looking sad and dripping everywhere.
Got her home, new filter installed, 5 new qts, and 20 completly soaked rags later, she still has a drip or 2 hitting the ground.
It's time's like this I wished we had a good mud hole locally that I could go play in to absorb/cover the oil. Or a real dusty road!
Everything was fine driving into work tonigh, I pulled over after everything heated up, and did another under carriage wipe. I may never get it all!
Was able to finally get to bed around 10:30am. Made for a long night/morning.

·
Registered
2,024 Posts
Just by chance did you happen to check if the gasket on the oil filter was doulbed up.
Meaning maybe the last time you or whoever did the oil change accidently didnt check to see if the rubber gasket from the old oil filter came off and was still on your motor.
so therefore when you put the new oil filter on you had two gaskets on there which would lead to either your filter loosening up or just leak a little.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
that sucks dude, luckily you noticed the dummy light before it locked up.

·
Registered
295 Posts
How long ago did you do the oil change?

Hey Rawkon, I've done that doubling up the seals before. It ain't pretty when you do that.

·
Registered
1,611 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
It was last week. Monday I think. (I have it logged)
One of those unlucky events. I've been changing the oil in my truck for close to 6yrs, (every 3000 miles!) never figured this would happen. What sucks now, is I can't take my eye's off my dash now! Looking for that damn idiot light to stay OFF!
I may need some retail therapy to take my mind off of the event.
Hummmm.... lift, tires, new rear bumper, (case of oil & filters)

·
Registered
969 Posts
I agree that the it was critical that you saw the light and shut the engine off. I've seen what no oil pressure can do to an engine and it ain't pretty.

·
Registered
8 Posts
5 qts? no, but i know what 3.5 to 4 qts looks like.

i rebuilt my engine, put it in, filled with oil, and starting priming the oil pump.

it kept turning and didnt bog down as much as it should. then I heard the dripping from the oil filter that I forgot to install.

At least I was working on dirt. BTW engine hoists dont move around too well on dirt.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
i like to write down the date and mileage on the bottom of the filter so i know when i have to change it by just bending over and also if i take it in for warranty work and they claim i dont change the oil(had that problem with a nissan dealer) i can tell him to look under the truck for himself. he can see the dirt over the numbers to tell that the date is true and not just done.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts