Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey, I'm in the process of installing an amp and I have noooooo experience of doing this. I'm hooking up the amp to my Pioneer DEH-p85 reciever. They say to hook a remote power antenna lead from the amp to the reciever and I can't find it on the back of the deck. Does anyone have any suggestions or help to offer me?? I'm stumped. Thanks in advance.
-Travis

·
Registered
264 Posts
it will be the blue wire coming from the back of your deck. Most likely labled. You also have to run your power cable from the battery as well as a ground wire. You need a fuse in the power cable from the battery. When you hook it up make sure the fuse is out so you dont fry anything.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I found the wire, it's labeled antenna power. It's connected into a wire harness that was used to hook up the deck though. Do I splice the remote wire into it or what? Thanks for all the help guys.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
The remote wire should be a blue wire on the rear of the deck. The remote wire is a switched power wire which is HOT only when the ignition is turned on. This turns the amp on/off everytime the key is turned to the aux or on position. If you are not sure, get a volt meter and place the positive probe on the blue wire and the negative to a metal surface...there should be power only when the key is in the aux/on position and no power when key is not in the ignition...

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Tunis,

shouldn't the remote wire only be hot when the receiver is turned on? That way the amp is turned off when the head-unit is turned off?

·
Registered
8,237 Posts
that is correct woody, but where tunis said to hook up does that. power antenas go down when you turn off the radio.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Right, but his explanation of when it should be hot was misleading, which is what i was trying to correct.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
sorry, i should have said that when the receiver is turned on, the remote wire is HOT. i guess you can use that explanation if a head unit doesn't have the remote wire...thanks for clarifying guys!

·
Registered
4,506 Posts
Yes... older units the power antenna will stay on even when you have CD selected and not Tuner (radio).

BUT... newer units in past 3-5 years have both a remote turn on lead for amplifiers and a power antenna lead which is only +12VDC when in tuner mode.

If anyone needs specifics on moobile electronics in the future, a great site is: http://www.the12volt.com

I encourage everyone to bookmark it.. I have found all kinds of stuff in there that has taken the 'multimeter' time outta mobile electronics.

:cool::

1 - 10 of 10 Posts