Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone know if its ok for me to run my aluminum Outlaw II's in the winter...im pretty sure they have a clear coat on them but not possitive...I dont know how they will react to the sault? Is there anything that i could put on them to protect them?...I really have no idea on this topic, hell i dont even know if this is in the right forum... :wall:

·
Registered
357 Posts
the sault will cause the clear coat to come off and then ur rims will carode (sp?) so if they are nice rims and u still want them to look good in a couple of years i would suggest runnin some steelies... i dont know of anything that u can put over them to protect them as like a polish or anything...maybe more layers of clear coat...

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
what's sault?

·
Registered
4,216 Posts
On 2005-11-27 09:45, mustang6tsix wrote:
hahah good question...salt is what i think i meant. :wall:

oh ok, that's what i thought but when shin typed "sault" too i was like, ok..?

I live in Hawaii and we dont have "winter" here so I thought maybe there was something I havent heard about yet...

·
Registered
1,840 Posts
when i had aluminuim wheels i gave them a good polishbe4 winter started and i always tried to keep them clean...survived 4 winters and they stilll look good.

·
Registered
3,078 Posts
you could put some wax on there to protect it too.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
cooking pam will also keep the crap from sticking that or stuff like the wd-40/slick 50 weekly wipedowns will work great for keeping the wheels clean that is what i did when i had my chevy on alu. wheels i think they were the same ones you have

·
Registered
66 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Yeah, they all sound like great ideas, im just trying to preserve the clear coat as long as possible and prevent corrosion...the petroleum jelly sounds like a good idea, im sure the cooking spray and the wax would also work...thanks for all of the suggestions guys
:D:

·
Registered
2,090 Posts
On 2005-11-28 18:36, Tani1500 wrote:
you could put some wax on there to protect it too.

:withstupid: Put a very heavy coat of wax and keep them clean. The WD40 idea is cool also

·
Registered
1,230 Posts
On 2005-11-30 22:27, JustRamIt wrote:

:withstupid: Put a very heavy coat of wax and keep them clean. The WD40 idea is cool also
:withstupid: wax is all you need. i have the same rims, during the winter months i try to wash my truck once a week. call it a little overboard but i like to clean my wheels once a week with wheel cleaner when i wash my truck and throw a coat of wax on them shortly after. it doesnt take more than 5 min to wax 4 rims....no swirl application needed, wax on wax off.

p.s. during summer months waxing an aluminum rim every month or so is good habit :bigthumb:

1 - 17 of 17 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.