Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
On Saturday I picked up a set of 3" lift coils that were made to also handle the extra weight of the Reunel.

On Sunday I met up with Justin (FJTHIS), and we did some part swapping. Over the course of an afternoon, and part of the evening we swapped out my stock coils and rancho 3" spacers for the custom coils and ground back the rear corner of the spring bucket to better clear my dual-shock up front (keep raking the side of the shock against the bucket, it's not pretty).

That was my truck.

Then on Justin's we installed my old spacers with his stock springs, and then put an add-a-leaf in the rear of his truck.

On my drive home I pretty much got to try it on every road-type except massive pot-holes or anything dirt.

Ride is definitely firmer, but not harsh, like I was afraid it would be. I wouldn't want to use these springs without the Reunel's weight, though. That could be VERY painfull. I'm also not running the rancho RS9000s any softer or stiffer. They were nice right the way they were.

What did I gain? I forgot to measure before-hand, but from comparing where the tire nearly rubbed the body before, a good 2" of lift from the coils. I think I gained the full 3" of the lift over stock, and because the lift-coils were ordered for 1000# over stock, AND a 3" lift, and the bumper only weights about 300-350#, then I think I may actually have a 4" lift up front.

I have noticed that the steering is a little more "odd" (Bumpsteer, sorta), but not much, and that was only in BIG dips, from when I was running the RS9000s at 2 instead of 3.

I'll measure up the truck tonight.

Oh, and I don't need my anti-sway bar at all. The springs plus the shocks are stiff enough that I don't get any (or any noticeable) body-roll in turns. Including the 50mph off-camber decreasing radius uglies that Hwy 9 has a few of. So I'll be permanently pulling that soon.

Justin gained 3" up front, which raised his front to 1/2" over his rear (from the bottom of the fender. But his 3" add-a-leaf gave him exactly that. So he's now 2 1/2" taller in the rear than the front.

As for ride, his should be softer than mine, but not sure how much so. We installed his RS9000s at setting 3 all the way around, which I now reallize was WAY too stiff for the back.

Justin, I run 1-2 in the back, depending on load. 3 when I'm carrying 4-500# worth of salt for the water softener. And adjusting the rear stiffness does amazing things for the ride.

Justin, how does yours ride?

·
Registered
246 Posts
with out the sway bar that thing rides ahhhfull i dont know how you guys drive around like that. i think after i hook that back up and was thinkin of softening up the rear a little as well. the backs a little rough and the front is like a wet noodle. but its nice to have some lift finally. thanks for all your help Woody. i need to get that steering stableizer on there the bump steer is really bad with the stock one.
ohh ya and my tires are tooo small now :(:

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
One thing you can do before putting the sway-bar back in is to bump the front shocks up to 4-5 or so. I'm running an extra pair of shocks up front compared to you, so that changes things some, too.

But you may not be able to get things stiff enough with just the shocks, and need to put the sway-bar back on.

Keep me posted on it.

I'll take you for a ride sometime in my truck, I think you'd be surprised with the amount of body-roll (or lack thereof).

Another thing to remember is that you lowered the tire pressure back down to something a bit more reasonable, which will soften the sidewalls, giving a softer ride, but let the truck lean a bit more on them at the same time.

You might want to just adjust one thing at a time, figure out the effects of things on your truck, and then tune it in the way you like it.

Oh, and I talked to Mark about the shock, and also looked it up on Rancho's specifications pages.

The 9198 is a 25" long (extended) shock. The 9118 is 22" long. Now, since both of those were the same length fully extended or fully compressed, I'm thinking one of them wasn't labeled right.

Also, the 9118 uses a 5/8" ID bushing, and the 9198 uses a 3/4" ID bushing. Those were the same size on the two shocks as well.

Wierd... Probably just mis-labelled at the factory, though.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Hey Woody I think your right about the shock being mis-labeled, I think they both are the 3/4" Bolt. Glad to hear you got the trucks straightend out, we are all waiting for pics.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Big,

My truck really doesn't look any different, just sits more level. Justin, though, needs bigger tires.... :):

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
True, bit his truck is as tall as yours now. 1500+3" lift with 285s is just as tall as a 2500 with 285s... :):

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
a stock one or with daystars? hehe. i know my tires are small too, but im gonna be getting a 6" lift soon that will stuff 38's so im not gonna waste money on others :):

·
Registered
340 Posts
Woody, where did you get the coils to handle the extra weight? I having the same problem in the front now that I have added the grill guard and winch? I have added probably 300lbs to the front end and now I have lost probably a good inch or two off of my lift? Thanks DDGETHS

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
I bought the springs off a MarkFlip, who had ordered them from National Spring (El Cajon, CA?).

I don't think they do coils any more, but they will know who does.

Sorry, that's about all I know.

The coils were pricy, something like $350 when new.

·
Registered
340 Posts
Anyone know where I can get a set of coils that would hold up to the weight of my guard and winch? Or any suggestions on what I should do? Thanks DDGETHS

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
DDGETHS... hey a set of 5" Skyjacker coils... Guys correct me if I am wrong but with his weight up front it will be equivlent to about 4"s right. Unless there is a better way?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Skyjacker 2-2.5" lift coils for a cummins would probably do the trick, too. :):

Bit stiff, but with the extra weight... you might need/want it.

I'm adding about another 200# to the truck today (sliders), and those are probably split 50/50 weight wise, but it's still more weight up front. I'm up to 400# over stock up front, and that's before a winch.

How much more does a cummins weight over a gasser?

Aaron

·
Registered
482 Posts
I pulled my swaybar off and have absolutely no sway at all. I tow a 21' boat, a heavy 18' boat, a jetski and a car trailer. I think if I was getting sway I would know it. My truck handles great around curves and such. My front springs are stiff as hell. Tooooo stiff for on road, but good for offroad.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #15
Checkmate,

You ever try to flex the suspension to the max? Curious how much you can get. I'd love to get my truck on a 20* ramp and see what RTI I get. Although it's probably going to go down after the sliders... They'll stiffen the frame so it will flex less.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Here's a pic of the truck after the install of the sliders/springs and stuff, I put more pics of the sliders in another topic:

<!-- BBCode u2 Start -->http://muddyram.pavementsucks.com/Truck/Images/Sliders/full_sideview.jpg" TARGET="_blank<!-- BBCode u2 End -->

And here's a pic of the clearanced spring buckets so the dual shocks don't keep impalining themselves on it:

<!-- BBCode u2 Start -->http://muddyram.pavementsucks.com/Truck/Images/Lift/shock_clearancing.jpg" TARGET="_blank<!-- BBCode u2 End -->

1 - 16 of 16 Posts