Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I think that all of the inlets are cold air since them mount into the fender. I would still upgrade to something bigger and higher flowing. I personally like the Volant system that I got.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
If you like I can take a couple pictures of how the Volant looks on my 01 and send them to you.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Bill_L,

Could you send those picks to me as well? I'm interested in the Volant system. What kind of hp/torque gains did you feel with it? In the photos on volant's site, it shows what appears to be a closed off port that could lead forward to an intake in teh same position as a K&N GenII cold-air intake.

Thanks,

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I have not had a chance to take any pictures of how it looks on my truck so I am posting am link to a picture of the install that Volant has on their web site.

http://www.volantperformance.com/IMAGES/16859/16859install.jpg

As for compairing it to the K&N that is hard to do since I only had the K&N filter in the stock box. I did notice a bit of a power increase over that as soon as I drove it but I dont know about any kind of dyno numbers.

If you go off of the dyno numbers you need to know how they perform these test. I have seen the test process and it is a joke. All the numbers that they claim are an increase somewhere in the RPM band and not peak RPM.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I dont know about modifications causing you to lose power but I do know that each one can change the HP and TQ curve. You can lose low end torque but gain peak. Same thing with horse power.

I have seen cases on high performance cars where people have installed parts and seen no gains till they installed other parts to support the modifications.

I have know people that changed cams, intakes, throttle bodies, and forgot the mass air meter and saw no gains till it was changed or change the thottle body without the mass air or air box and seen no increase.

·
Registered
424 Posts
I have heard from a local shop owner that over the other choices he prefers the "AirRaid" system on his '01. Yet, when I went to a street performance shop and checked out some things, they said the "AirRaid" system uses a certain style plastic tubing what becomes brittle under the changes in engine compartment heating/cooling. They said the better was the K&N. I am up for suggestions. I even thought about an conventional "Round" 11 or 14" filter that had K&N style element all the way 360 degrees. Like running without one at all and yet with the protection from mud & dust. Unfortunately, I found out that the "cab forward" design limits much with the conventional round filters.....
Just some thoughts...
LUV24BY
(John)

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
intake spacers are a waste of money and do nothing on TPI motors. open air cleaners are also a bad idea since you will pull in only hot air from under the hood. The best bet is a Volant style, K&N Gen II kit or anything that is like them. Kenne Bell has a nice kit as well. Almost anything is better than the stock box.

·
Registered
195 Posts
Bill, do you have the 5.9L or the 5.2L in your Dodge? I looked on the Volant website and didn't see a part number for the 5.2L engine.

Bob
2001 Dodge Ram 1500 Sport Quad Cab

·
Registered
502 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Bob,

I have the 5.9 but as far as I know the air box is the same on both so there is no reason why it shouldnt fit the 5.2

Try checking out http://www.truckperfornace.com I bet that they will list that it fits the 5.2

Bill

·
Registered
5,579 Posts
and the prize for "newbie bringing up the oldest thread in the history of pavementsucks.com goes to......."

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
I was going to write back something funny, but I'm going to wait about five years and then reply. Gonna go ahead and bookmark this post... :roll: :rotfl:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts