Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
4,527 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Will The Open Element(14") Air Cleaner Work On the 5.9l? Like The Edlebrock Ones You Can Buy From PepBoys? Did You Notice a Power Increase? Pro's? Con's?

Thanks
Rick

·
Registered
1,380 Posts
i noticed a huge difference with a simple drop in filter from k&n. supposedly the open air don't bring in cold air like from the fender and if you run in the mud it could get covered depending on the depth. otherwise you'll notice a definite increase in power and if you add flows big boost in mpg.

·
Registered
923 Posts
That is exactly right, when you remove the air filter tube that goes to the fneder well you have no where for the truck to get cold air. Cold air is more dense than hot air so that means more oxygen available to make combustion take place. I know people on this site aren't fond of imports, but that is how they make so much power. Lots of cold dense air shoved into the manifold with a turbo. In short, your truck needs all the cold air it can get. Think about how hot it gets under the hood while driving on a hot day. Would you rather have that air or the cool clean air flying by the fenderwell just outside the engine compartment? You guys don't like imports but can't deny that they have the right idea on how to make power.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
I am different from the other guys, I thought my K&N filter was the biggest waste of 40 bucks ive even spent. I dont think I would ever give the K&N company another penny.

·
Registered
8,235 Posts
i could go either way with the k&n, but they keep sending me new filters when i trash them. :):

·
Registered
1,074 Posts
I guess the K&N thing works for some more than others. I felt a little power increase. I can chirp the tires more often than I really want to, that's the way I know of the the power increase. The part I was happy about, I still drive the same way I always do, and I gained about a mile per gallon...which doesn't really seem like alot but then again, California gas prices suck, and I need all the help I can get...without driving a rice burner. Oh yeah, $1.46 for 87 octane today in Redding, Ca. gotta love it when summer gas prices are on the rise *@%#$%

1 - 7 of 7 Posts