Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have a cat back flowmaster exhaust on my truck right now but i want it louder than it is...Will adding a glasspack make it louder and give me more performance???

·
Registered
266 Posts
it wont give you better performance at all...Flow master is a great setup I just got mine recently. A glass pack will just make your truck sound like an emissions nightmare especially to law enforcement..........

Brett

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
also...i have one muffler but dual outs....if i got glasspacks would i need to buy two or one??...help me because i really want the LOUDNESS!!!!!!

·
Registered
1,232 Posts
jajeta,

if you wanna run a glasspack, you gotta loose the muffler..its one or the other!where do your pipes end? if you want a nice deep tone, cut the pipes off right after the muffler and turn the tips down! :D:

'98 Dodge Ram 1500 QC SLT 4X4 5.2, 5" SkyJacker Stage II Kit, 35/12.50/15 GoodYear MT/R's on 15X8 Weld Sidewinders, Flowmaster Cat-Back Exhaust System, Volant Cool Air Intake System w/ Ram Air Scoop, Custom Audio System.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Depends on how your exhaust is installed. If you have a single inlet/dual outlet muffler you'll need to replace it with a Y pipe and add your glass packs behind it. Either way you do it, you'll be taking off your 70.00 mufflers and replacing them with 10.00 mufflers. Bash the guts out of the inside of your converter!!!

·
Registered
63 Posts
my truck has one glass pack then it is split with a y pipe into duals. It depends on how close the outlets on the flowmaster are, just take it to a shop and ask them.I love the loud pops that my glass pack can make.

·
Registered
139 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
how would i go about bashing the guts out of my converter....and this will give me a deeper and louder tone..and what about gass milage and things like that...performance wise and all?...what will happen?

·
Registered
134 Posts
there is a glasspack with single inlet, dual oulet. Its called a torpedo pack, and is made by maremont. they are really cheap. you gotta ditch the flowmaster if you want a glasspack, and put glasspack in its place. I would keep the flowmaster, as I have had a glasspack on for 3 months and the inside has complety burned out. Now it makes all kinds of rattling sounds. Im now gonna put on a borla.

·
Registered
1,519 Posts
first off, leave your cat alone. you can get a free flow cat. when i had mine put on it became real damn loud. if all you want is loud, save the $20 and just run without the muffler. glasspacks are use-less. they do nothing for preformance, so there is no point in them.

·
Registered
91 Posts
Jajeta21, you never said which series of flowmaster you have on your truck if you have anything other than the 40 series and you want it loud then get the 40 series, from what everyone is telling me the 40 will set car alarms off. Stay away from the glasspacks and bashing out your converter. These converters have an 8 year 80,000 mile warranty from the factory and all of them are high flowing. Also putting headers on will help make it louder.

·
Registered
5,376 Posts
I bought my entire exhaust from the cat back used for $100. It has a single in double out 18" glasspack and tips . No I dont think it is to loud but I wouldnt want it any louder. I happen to like the way it sound the I had a slight exhaust restriction befor. It felt like an exaust brake or restrictor. Now the exhaust flows freely. With headers it would feel even better.

Later
Nick

·
Registered
77 Posts
First off... A single in dual outlet muffler by design COSTS you 2-3hp. over a single-in straight-thru muffler.
When I researched my exhaust that is what the tech guy at Gibson told me. That's why they only advertise the hp gain for the single 3" system. The single in dual out isn't as impressive hp-wise.

I went with the Dynomax Ultra flo because it flows about 30% better than the Gibson.
For max volume AND flow while still running a muffler, I don't think you can beat the Dynomax "race bullet". The "bullet" is cheaper than my "ultra flo" and louder too!

If you do decide to go with a cheapie glasspack look inside the muffler. Make sure it isn't louvered through out. The louvers spell backpressure.

·
Registered
174 Posts
This is what I did with my 82 Ramcharger. I made it completely out of scratch, dual exhaust will give you a fuller more deepened exhaust because of having less vibrations and less exhaust flowing throughtwo pipes instead of one. Just get someone that knows how to weld and start bending the piping (prefered 2 1/4 inches) and when you get to about 3 feet form your rear axles put on the glass packs. I have 18 inch ones on mine and it sounds awesome. I have had both flowmasters and glass packs and glasspacks sound much much better. Oh yeah and since you have cat. converts buy another one from a junkyard off a wrecked truck your year, so that one pipe won't have more back psi than the other, (just don't break out the insides). I have don't the duals on my truck and on a friends 2001 Ram 2500 (putting cat. converts on both pipes) and it sounds great. Just don't do what i did on mine and run a pipe under the bottom of your tranny cause it gets in the way of pulling off tranny pan.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Well, I HAD to go to true dual exhaust, due to the fact that the exhaust pipe on the driver side was routed DIRECTLY underneath the front driveshaft! I couldn't flex out completely! But that is just a memory... :wink: I have two precats, and had a larger cat, but I was lucky, the O2 sensors are after the precats, so i was able to remove the big cat. Man, is it ever easy to push those larger tires around now. the true duals just woke up the motor. It is effortless to get up to speed and stay that way. But remember, in some states it is ILLEGAL to destroy the inside of a cat or remove it totally, remember that. I got lucky as Alabama doesn't care about it (I think this is where they send old vehicles to die eventually...)It is not a good idea to broadcaast to someone to "bash out the insides" of a cat. We must keep things legal...right? Oh, and by the way, glasspacks sound like crap, get a flowmaster 40 series, they sound REALLY good. And I can vouch for turn downs, that is what I have on truck, and I get a nice deep rumble...plus there are no chrome tail pipes to get crushed or hung up...I am ALL about functionality!

'00 1500 QC 4x4 Black Sport 5.9l Rhinolining, 3" Perf. Acc. Body lift, 5" Skyjacker Class II Single Flex lift, 16-35/15 Boggers on ARE 767 15x10's, 4.56's stuffed in the axles, Powertraxx Locker

<!-- BBCode u2 Start -->http://www.lockitupoffroad.com" TARGET="_blank<!-- BBCode u2 End -->

·
Registered
41 Posts
A guy I once knew had a really great idea. He had a full size Jimmy and made his own exhaust system. He had aftermarket headers and a free flow cat but from the cat back was all custom. There was no muffler and he used something I never would have thought of. From the cat on back was just a straight pipe, made from metal fence posts. You know, that tubing for the chain link fences? Sounded awesome and will never rust.

1 - 20 of 37 Posts