Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My power steering gearbox is leaking around the output shaft. Can I put a new seal on that or am I going to have to get a new gearbox?

·
Registered
969 Posts
Is it leaking alot or just seeping? If its seeping its most likely a seal.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
It is only seaping. I am sure it is only the seal, but I want to know if it is possible to replace the seal.

·
Registered
969 Posts
I have the same problem, you need a special tool to pull the pitman arm off the steering box. I haven't fixed it though, i just carry a bottle of power steering fluid in my back seat.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
its easier to pull the sector shaft out of the gear box then it would to try and fish it out with the sector shaft in. to remove the sector shaft..first make sure the wheels are pointing straight ahead. if you look at the top of the gearbox youll see a covr with 4 bolts in a square pattern and one in the center, remove the 4 bolts but dont touch the one in the center. put a drain pain under the gear box to collect any fluid(you system could use a flush anyhow). now lift the sector shaft and the cover straight off. you now have the oppurtunity to polish the shaft to get rid of any corrsion so not to score the new seal when you put the shaft back in. next take a screwdriver and stab the seal and remove it. put some wheel bearing grease on the new seal and install. reverse the order for the sector shaft. install the pitman arm. refill, and jack the front end up, start the truck and saw the steering wheel left to right but dont touch the stops. when the pump stops squeeling your done. check the fluid and add if needed.

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Thanks for the infor shawn. That is what I was hoping to here. Were do you think I should get the seal? I know they won't have it at autozone. I guess I could try the Dodge dealership.

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
On 2002-03-25 19:24, Jhoward wrote:
Thanks for the infor shawn. That is what I was hoping to here. Were do you think I should get the seal? I know they won't have it at autozone. I guess I could try the Dodge dealership.

yeah i find trying to find dodge parts at any parts counter other then dodges real funny. i was gonna just replace a tie rodend on my truck when i replaced my gearbox(i stripped a castle nut somehow). NO ONE had a tie rod end for it. everything ive tried to get was a dealer part. if i cant get it aftermarket it should be free. but to answer you question, the dealer is you best bet.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Mine is leaking too and I've had the seal for about a year, and never intsalled it because I was afraid it would be a pain in the a**. I have to replace one of my wheel joints this week, so I might try to follow your directions and replace the seal while I'm at it. I feel ambitious!

·
Registered
3,036 Posts
i was bored after i replaced mine and took the old box apart to see if i could see if anything was wrong. i just found a bad seal and a loose cage bearing.

·
Registered
213 Posts
I would go to dodge for the seal, that way you know it will have the best fit.

As for the tie rod end any good parts store should have it. In the last 6 months I've replaced my whole front end including the track bar with moog chassi parts. The nice thing about moog is that they put grease fittings in everthing.

1 - 10 of 10 Posts