Off Road Vehicles banner

? about gears

871 views 4 replies 5 participants last post by  Matswi 
#1 ·
will 3.55 gears be able to turn 35' mud tires without much strain on the car, or would it be better to upgrade? keep in mind a low budget

#2 ·
You won't like the outcome! sure, you'll be able to drive it, but forget acceleration and power. But once you reach 80mph it'll cruise there pretty good. You'll definetly loose some lower end. Not to mention your speedometer will be way off.
Best bet would be to go with 4:56's with 35's

Good luck

#3 ·
The easiest way to figure out what exact gears you need to keep the speedo correct and the torque about the same is this. New tire diameter divided by old tire diameter. Take that answer and multiply it by your existing gear ratio. This will give you what your new ratio should be. Then pick a gear size closest to that. ex. 35/31 = 1.129 then 1.129x3.55 = 4.008 so from this we see that 4.10's would be good. even 3.92's would do

#4 ·
a buddy of mine, and seems like everyone on the forum runs 4.56 with 35's. i run 4.10's amd i love them. i do not know how the do it, but i think dodge has an anti spin thing in the transmission for the foward gears, but i can roast the hell out of the 35's on reverse. pulling a 17' polar, no problem. i even pull a 10,000 pound grain wagon with them. my buddy gets 9 miles to the gallon max, and i can still get @ 13. i would not run 4.56 gears on a daily driver. if you want to snatch the front tires loose go ahead, but you will pay at the pump for it. if you have to change go to 4.10's. 3.92 are not much better, and it will not cost much more. granted you will have to get a new carrier bearing for the front. if you want to save money, you can do the rear axle first. just take out the front driveshaft(just as a saffty precaution) untill you change the front.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.