Off Road Vehicles banner
21 - 37 of 37 Posts

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
i like the design of using lift spindles rather than dropping the whole differential 6", sturdier set up in my opinion and a lot of other ppl as well. i like the dick cepek and all but i like RCD more :bigthumb:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,258 Posts
I by no means am telling you what to do, but i do know this, I personally have been down the same road, i went from stock to 3" body to 6" susp. + 3" body. I also have buddies who have done the exact same. As much as the IFS rides great it isnt worth it. If you take the money you will spend on the IFS lift,replacement parts that are already worn, tires, and parts that are going to wear. you will be close to the amouunt needed to buy the Straight axle brackets and a Dana 44 or 10-bolt.(Bargain Hunt axles at junk yards) So then you just need to save up for steering components. I know it seems like alot but it really does add up. I have been piecing the components together for my striaght axle since i was 17. I am twenty know and have finallygoten close to installing it. I also understand that some dont have the facility or the knowlwedge to do this themselves. But i am asking that you think it over and run some numbers, i think you will see that the straight axle is the way to go. ANYWAY that si my 2-cents. Maybe it will help!!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,207 Posts
On 2003-02-11 12:41, BigWillieStyle_21 wrote:
I by no means am telling you what to do, but i do know this, I personally have been down the same road, i went from stock to 3" body to 6" susp. + 3" body. I also have buddies who have done the exact same. As much as the IFS rides great it isnt worth it. If you take the money you will spend on the IFS lift,replacement parts that are already worn, tires, and parts that are going to wear. you will be close to the amouunt needed to buy the Straight axle brackets and a Dana 44 or 10-bolt.(Bargain Hunt axles at junk yards) So then you just need to save up for steering components. I know it seems like alot but it really does add up. I have been piecing the components together for my striaght axle since i was 17. I am twenty know and have finallygoten close to installing it. I also understand that some dont have the facility or the knowlwedge to do this themselves. But i am asking that you think it over and run some numbers, i think you will see that the straight axle is the way to go. ANYWAY that si my 2-cents. Maybe it will help!!!!

eveyone has their own opinions. some people think SFA conversions are the only way to go and IFS lifts suck. i think differently. IFS trucks are not as bad as people think and they have gotten a bad rap in the offroading community. I think spending the money on a IFS truck just to waste even more money on a SFA is dumb. If i really wanted a new SFA truck i probably would have broken down and bought a dodge or ford. If you want a SFA chevy, just go buy and old one dirt cheap and beat the hell outta it, and have your IFS truck for daily driving and occasional wheeling.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #26 ·
ya i agree with subs here. in my opinion i think the wear on your suspension is from those 38x14.50s you have. ill only be running a 35x12.50 so i shouldnt have near as much wear and tear as you will. i know there will be stuff that goes out but thats just what comes with a lifted truck. i dont have time to wheel a whole bunch but i do some and my truck will be capable of what i want to do with my IFS on there. at this point with lifts ya a straight axle would out perform an IFS in some places but i read in a recent petersons that companies are working and trying to design some pretty extreme IFS kits giving anywhere between 12-15" of travel. PRETTY AWESOME!! i know a lot of ppl preach SFA but IFS isnt really that bad. if i did go straight axle id have to wait a LONG time before i could lift my truck or i could do my lift in a couple of months and still be able to do what i want to do with it
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,207 Posts
On 2003-02-11 16:44, White Z wrote:
ya i agree with subs here. in my opinion i think the wear on your suspension is from those 38x14.50s you have. ill only be running a 35x12.50 so i shouldnt have near as much wear and tear as you will. i know there will be stuff that goes out but thats just what comes with a lifted truck. i dont have time to wheel a whole bunch but i do some and my truck will be capable of what i want to do with my IFS on there. at this point with lifts ya a straight axle would out perform an IFS in some places but i read in a recent petersons that companies are working and trying to design some pretty extreme IFS kits giving anywhere between 12-15" of travel. PRETTY AWESOME!! i know a lot of ppl preach SFA but IFS isnt really that bad. if i did go straight axle id have to wait a LONG time before i could lift my truck or i could do my lift in a couple of months and still be able to do what i want to do with it


its about time somebody designed one for the IFS trucks, this is why they have a bad name in off road, the kits only allow for more tire clearance, not increased travel like SFA lifts.

I have wanted to design my own for a long long time and im really exited to see what people come up with. you have any info or sites at all????
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
3,258 Posts
im not trying to bad mouth IFS, hell i love the ride. I just am tired of going through ball joints, CV Boots, and tie-rods. I would love a long-travel IFS, it is more practical than IFS. I am just really into custom stuff, i like to build and tryout new stuff, that is why i am doing a straight axle to my truck, it is different yet still strong and reliable. If i wanted an old chevy sraight axle i would have got one, to me there is just something awesome about the look of a 88-98 w/ a straight axle under it. ANyway good luck with the IFS stuff White Z !!!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,801 Posts
Ross, Start a suspension lift fund, get a can and have your friends start dumping change in it, by the time you figure out what you are going to do with your truck you will have enough money to buy the lift, tires and fly 98sub454 and I out to Texas to check it out!! :silly:
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #30 ·
hahaha alright ive started the suspension lift fund for my truck :silly: if youre interested in helpin out a fellow PS member sned me a PM and ill tell you where to mail the money!! haha in all honesty i dont think i could justify spending that much money when i dont wheel a ton, but ill still be accepting all donations
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,801 Posts
Well even if you dont wheel alot, dont you want a really bad a$$ truck, im not saying yours isnt but you know what i mean. Come on get the lift, if your truck could talk it would tell you to!!
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #32 ·
im getting the lift....its a 6" RCD :bigthumb: its either get my lift and tires in a couple of months or wait like a year or more. there is also a possibility of me getting a different truck in 2 or 3 years so why dump a ton of money in this one. with my lift and tires i will be able to do just about everything i want to do
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
6,801 Posts
Well is your truck paid for? if it is why get rid of it, i know along while back you said it had alot of miles on it, but the body is in great shape, why get rid of it, fix it up. Get the lift and wait awile to get the rims and tires, thats what i did.
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #34 ·
its not totally paid for. theres just a CHANCE that i could get a newer truck in better condition. haha im not sure if yall are still trying to talk me into a SAS but its not happening, i dont have that kind of funds so RCD here i come!!
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,333 Posts
On 2003-02-11 17:09, 98sub454 wrote:
I have wanted to design my own for a long long time and im really exited to see what people come up with. you have any info or sites at all????

I know CST makes a long travel kit for 2WD. But that didn't help you much did it?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,207 Posts
On 2003-02-12 16:46, Cracker wrote:
On 2003-02-11 17:09, 98sub454 wrote:
I have wanted to design my own for a long long time and im really exited to see what people come up with. you have any info or sites at all????

I know CST makes a long travel kit for 2WD. But that didn't help you much did it?

no :p:

if i had a 2wd, and wanted to lift it, that is what id have on it right now
 

·
Banned
Joined
·
2,769 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
the thing i read about the long travel suspension kits was just a small article near the end of a recent petersons. they dont have any info on the kits at all, all they know is that they are in the process of trying to get them to the public
 
21 - 37 of 37 Posts
Top