Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Im going to test drive a 99 Ram CTD on Monday. I have never owned or worked on a deisel before and really have no idea what to look out for. Any tips on what to look out for and check? I looked at the truck from the outside and it looks to be well taken care of but the dealership was closed so I couldnt get in and test drive it. According to the dealers website it has 71k miles on it.

·
Registered
5,783 Posts
the big things are like, any other dodge.

chack the front of the engine for leaks. also check the ps pump, mine is starting to go and i got about the same miles on mine .... or alittle less

see what block it has got, i think 53 was the bad casting, they like to crack.

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Its an auto and no its not from Magnum. My current Ram came from there though.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
around the area below the powersteering pump look for the number "53" it would be stamped on the side of the block. if it is a 53 block, walk away. They dont all crack, but I wouldnt want to take the risk.

Have the shop throw a fuel pressure gauge on the the fuel system, to see what kind of pressure the lift pump is putting out. It SHOULD be around 11-12PSI at idle. If its not, well its a gamble with these trucks anyway you look at it, but make sure you either get an extended warranty to cover the engine or save up money to replace a lift pump and eventually a Injection Pump. The vp-44 is not a cheap part, the IP is around 1100 for just the pump, no install labor.

also, make a deal with the dealer to change all the fluids on it, tranny, diffs, and all that.

look at the exhaust manifold, top and bottom for any cracks, they tend to crack if ya push the truck hard for long periods of time. They also tent to crack from people running fueling boxes on them as well, as it raises the EGTs from thier stock ratings.

Pull the air intake hose off the intake side of the turbo, look for oil leakes around the impeller, and also see if its loose. (obviously do this with the truck off :silly: )

·
Registered
1,131 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Got there at 4:00 today and it was already sold. I gave them my number and told them to call me if they got anymore deisels in.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts