Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My buddy has a 98 Ram 1500. He was driving over the grapevine and the truck just felt like it went into neutral. Tranny would grind when tried to place it in park. he said it didn't make any big booms or anything when it happened. It was towed to his mothers house, and he said she moved it in 4wd. I know nothing about Dodges. From searching I think he has a 46re and a 231D. Am I correct on this a$$umption. Is there something simple inside the case that can be fixed, or is this sounding like something major? Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
if the transfer case popped into neutral, the transmission outputshaft would still be spinning, hence the grinding when you shift to park. i'd try driving it if it moves, it could be it just came outta 4wd

·
Registered
223 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Well he said he was driving in 2wd and this happened, and the shifter was in 2hi, and it wouldn't move. Like it went into neutral internally.

·
Registered
2 Posts
My buddy has a 98 Ram 1500. He was driving over the grapevine and the truck just felt like it went into neutral. Tranny would grind when tried to place it in park. he said it didn't make any big booms or anything when it happened. It was towed to his mothers house, and he said she moved it in 4wd. I know nothing about Dodges. From searching I think he has a 46re and a 231D. Am I correct on this a$$umption. Is there something simple inside the case that can be fixed, or is this sounding like something major? Any help or ideas would be greatly appreciated.
t for Thomas here. My 2001 is doing the same thing. Driving normal no problems then from out of the blue grinding noise no park no reverse long story short t case jumped out of 2 high still goes into 4 low and 2 high but will not stay going to rebuild will post details afterwords.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts