Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I know when I can pick up a transmission out of a 96 with low miles fairly cheap. I thought about buying it for a spare. My truck is a 98 and I think it may run differently with the computer. Does any one know if they're innerchangable?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
I think the 98 is a 46RE, and the 96 is a 46RH. Which means that the computer controls more in the 98 than in the 96, and probably not interchangeable, as they went from ODBI to ODBII in 98, and changed lots of other things hooked up to the computer.

Best bet would be to get a HD rebuilt for 400hp or something else STRONG.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
I can answer this question--- NOPE. Won't work. Only 98 and above. Trust me, I know...

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks what I was thinking but wasn't 100% sure. I know from experience that these trannys aren't cheap so I'm always keeping my ears open for a spare. Tuff trucks, weak trannys.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Woody,
They went to OBD2 in 96 and newer models, anything pre 96 is OBD1. The transmission probably wouldn't work with the computer but I can guarentee you both 96 and 98 computers are OBD2.

That means that both computer hookups for scan tools are located in the same place underneath the dash on the drivers side.

96 Ram 5.2L V8 4" trailmaster suspension lift, Flowmaster Dual exhaust, 36" swamper radials on 16x8 US wheels, 4.56 Gears, Grizzly rollbar 2 KC daylighters, Mopar pcm, [email protected] cold air intake, bed mounted spare tire carrier with a full size spare

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
They went to OBD II computers in 98. I had a 96, and it was OBD I.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Actually thats not true, I have had training form Snap on tools and General motors on various scan tools and computers and 96 is OBD2! I own a 96 and use OBD2 scan tools on it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts