Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I have been looking at lifts for Jeep YJs hoping to get one later on down the road for my future YJ and I want one with about 6 inches of lift. Every lift I see it says it is monolinear. Now my question is what in the crap is monolinear?

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
That means that it is a single leaf, not a pack of leafs at each corner, one reason they do that because they flex really good.

·
Registered
896 Posts
You could always do a spring over axle conversion with your stock springs, that should be good for 4" or so. Going up 6" on a YJ opens up a big can of worms where it comes to driveshafts and driveline angles.
With six inches, you'll need a SYE and longer 'shafts and brake lines and some steering corections. May have to get drop motor and t-case mounts, too.

Might as well do a shackle reversal while you're at it. There atre a few companies that make bolt on SOA and shackle reversal kits. Full Traction is one of them, I believe.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
How would a 5 1/2 coil over conversion look on it?

And what all gets messed up when you lift the body, cause i have heard some bad stories abou lifting some truck 3 inches. My truck that I have never had an problems when it had a 3 inch body lift and a 6 inch suspension lift on it.

·
Registered
896 Posts
If you can engineer a coil over system that worked, that would be badass.

As far as body lifts, they may have worked okay on a fullsize, but Jeeps are a different story. Most Jeep guys will use a 1" body lift, and that's it. That's just for an extra bit of tire clearance. The thing with the tall body lifts is they put alot of extra stress on the body mounts. On a Jeep, if it's wheeled hard, eventually the stress from the frame flexing will cause the body mounts to rip through the sheetmetal. All that flexing back and forth weakens it, and that's when it will eventually pull right through the sheet metal.

I believe the 1" body lifts are just taller body mounts, not spacers like in the 3" kits.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
Pro-comp makes a coil over conversion kit for YJs but it is a pretty penny that i am willing to spend.

I got one more questions now. What order should I put my 34s BFGoodrichs, lockers and gears, and lift on.
I was thinking like the lockers and gears (same gears that wil be turning 34s, 4.53) for it first, cause i can stand being a slow truck cause my Ram is. Then wait until I have the 34s and lift then put them on at once. What do y'all think, and I would go ahead and put it on all at once but there will be too much waiting to get all the stuff cause of money.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Yeah, that sounds like a plan. The only thing is, with the gears in before the larger tires, your engine will be screaming on the highway. If you can live with that, I guess you're all set.

I also agree that doing the lift and tires together is a good idea.

Just don't forget about driveshafts. You might want to do more research on that, because at 5.5", I really think your going to run into problems with them.

try http://www.jeepsunlimited.com They have a really good wrangler forum there, and I'm sure someone there already has the lift you want and can give you the lowdown on it.

·
Registered
174 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Thanks a lto mike for all your help. I am going to keep posts on what I get when i get it, sometime during the summer, hopefully. And after that I am going to have a bunch of questions because I am use to working on and rebuilding Dodges. If you see or hear about any jeep YJs for sale around the memphis arean yell at me.

Thanks Derek

1 - 8 of 8 Posts