Off Road Vehicles banner

5" rough country

2K views 11 replies 10 participants last post by  Tweaked 
#1 ·
The two cheapest 5" suspension lifts for the '94-'01 ram 1500 4x4 that i know of are the tuff country (its around $800 i think) and rough country's new 5" kit ($900 i think).

Now, i have learned from other forum topics that the 5" tuff country kit uses 5" spacers in the front instead of new springs and that is one reason it is so inexpensive.

I have also learned from other forum topics that rough country is a reputable company that makes a very complete kit for the dodge. Plus, i have learned that rough country was the first company to make suspension lifts and they are still in business.

I was wondering if anyone has the 5" rough country kit or knows anything about it. It says on theyre website where it is advertised for $899 that is a new kit. Is it as complete as their other kits for dodge? Does it include front springs like a Skyjacker kit or coil spacers like thier 3" kit or the tuff country 5" kit?

If you were to have a choice between the rough counrty kit for $900 and the skyjacker 5" kit, which is $100-$200 more, which would yall go with?

Thanks.

See less See more
#3 ·
Joe,

You know that saying: "you get what you pay for!"...go with Skyjacker! :bigthumb: ...think about it, $200-$300 more for for a lift with more reputation than one that you hardly hear about! Good luck! :D:

#4 ·
On 2002-03-05 19:41, TUNIS wrote:
Joe,

You know that saying: "you get what you pay for!"...go with Skyjacker! :bigthumb: ...think about it, $200-$300 more for for a lift with more reputation than one that you hardly hear about! Good luck! :D:

I understand what you are saying but i have posted earlier about that company and it seems that they are hardly a commpany that you hardly hear about. In fact, someone in one of these forums told me that they were the original company that made suspension lifts and that they offer one of the most complete kits on the market aside from being one of the least expensive.

Im not argueing with you, i am just trying to see what will be the best for the least amount of money.

I still would like to know, if anyone can tell me, if Rough country's new 5" kit stands up to their reputation of being very complete, and also if the new 5" kit uses new coils or coil spacers, which (i dont really know but....) to me seems to be too tall of a spacer and you would be much better off getting a kit with new coils.

Do yall think that one reason that rough country is relatively inexpensive is that they sell their lifts themselves through mail order and website? I mean you get rough country kits directly from them instead of through a distributor like 4 wheel parts, and i think this might allow you to get their kits cheaper. Like i said, though, im askin yall, i dont know.

Well, as always, any input will be appreciated.

Thanks.

#5 ·
joe
the im not 100% sure but the 1/2 ton is a spacer and the 3/4 ton is a replacement spring.
you also have to read, tuff country likes to quote their prices without shocks, making them seem cheap. tuff country might be known maybe for their other lifts but the 5" dodge isnt one of them. stick with skyjacker or BDS.

#6 ·
I am running a PA 3in body lift and the roughcountry 3in kit and have no complaints with the roughcountry kit. So far as the 3in kits are concerned it was the most complete and the best price although it only as like a two year waranty unlike skyjacker's lifetime. Wich brings up the question do you offer a warantry because you are confident your product will never break or because you know it will break and thats the only way to get people to buy your product. I did however swap out the coil spacers for skyjacker 3in lift coils. The stock dodge springs were to soft for my taste. As of now I have no complaints but if it ever does break I'll probably get the skyjacker 7in lift, just for sh#$ts and grins and stubb some 38's under the wheel wells. Thats just my $.02 worth, hope it helps you decide. P.S. roughcountry I heard makes parts for toughcountry like shocks, spacers and a few other doo-dads.

#7 ·
Any way you look at it, spacers are bad. The eventual problems will become self evident whenever you take a look at the spacer after hard wheeling or abuse. I have personally seen a Ram here that was running 3" spacers with the stock suspension, and add-a-leaf in the back, and I s#$% you not, the entire shock tower went right through the hood due to the stress on the suspension from the spacer. Now, the control arms and other suspension components were not modified, so this had something to do with it. But I decided at that point that I would not use spacers ever. Spend the extra money, it is worth the piece of mind that you are getting a quality product, one that is designed to replace and enhance the performance of the truck, not cut corners. After all, nothing is too good for our babies, right? Look at Biginuf, he had custom 8" coils made, and modified some of the suspension to allow for this. Anybody can do this and it is cheaper than most people think, you just have to know who to talk to. I have just recently talked to a guy that is going to show me the way to unbreakable axles, whenever I have enough money for it. It is all in the research time put in, and I have put in a lot, so I know what I am talking about when it comes to our trucks. The only thing I have almost 0 knowledge on is the transmission, and that is the weak spot on the truck. I know the suspension, inside and out. Ever seen 1/4 elliptical suspension with 2.5 ton axles on a Ram? You will when I get done...just hunting the parts right now...:wink:

#9 ·
Thanks for all tthe help.

I know that i shouldnt get a kit with spacers, especially a 5" kit with spacers.

What i am still trying to figure out, though, is does the new 5" Rough Country kit (NOT tuff country, they are different) use new coils or 5" spacers.

If anyone could tell me this i wwould really appreciate it.

Thanks.

#11 ·
Rough Country's 5" lift comes with new front coils not 5" spacers. And as far as them not being a well known company, not only are they the one of the first but they build the shocks for most of the well known suspension kits. So even thoses of you who knock Rough Country might have some shocks built by Heckethorn and Rough Country is a division of Hechethorn.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.