Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I currently have a Rough Country 3" lift with 3/4 Super lift perch spacers under my coils. The Rough Country is a spacer also. I'm getting 5" springs to add to my lift. My question is- if I remove the 3" spacers and replace them with the 5"coils, should I change the control arms. I'll be gaining 2".The current control arms are from the 3" kit. If I don't, what problems would I run into? Thanks

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
The skyjacker 5" kit has a longer lower arm, and a relocated upper arm to push the axle forward and to put it back at the poper operating angle....

So you'll probably want to do something similar.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thats what my Rough Country has also, is the longer upper and lower arms. I wouldn't think that going another 2" would hurt anything if I didn't change the arms. There's alot of guys running the 2" Daystars with no other modifications. Would this bring my axle back enough to even make a difference?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
You sure those arms are longer than stock? because none of the other 3" lift kits actually lengthen the arms, they just replace them with stronger ones.

The 5" kits lengthen the arms, and yes, it will make a difference. With my 3" kit, the axle is shifted back noticeably. Going to 5" that could be as much as another 1/2". I did the math once, it's not too pretty.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Yeah, assuming an 18" arm (pretty close to that), and going from level to +5", you'll shift the axle back 5/8" overall.

A 3" lift only shifts it back 1/4"

18 - 18cos(atan(5/18)) = .65"

18 - 18cos(atan(3/18)) = .24"

·
Registered
362 Posts
Back when I was researching 3in kits I called and got the lengths on both skyjacker arms and roughcountry arms (both upper and lower on both kits) the arms in both kits are longer than stock, however the 5in kit from skyjacker relocates the upper arm for travel purposes only there for it is shorter than the 3in upper arms because it no longer goes down but more like outward. The lower arms on the roughcoutry kit are actually the same length as the 5in skyjacker lower arms according to skyjacker tech dude after I gave him my center to center measurements. I wanted to know If I could run the 3/4 in superlift spacers to, by the way did you notice a difference after you installed them and how hard was it????Let me know luvmyram so I can decide if I want to try it or not, I'm just wondering if I will notice the 3/4 in or not.

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hey UncleMark, Thanks for the input. I'm assuming that from your reasearch, that it should be OK to keep the Rough Country arms? As far as the Superlift spacers, they're a snap to put in. The only negitive thing is that they do need to be welded. They recommend welding them every few inches all the way around. I welded mine in 3 places, about 3/4 to 1" welds. Never had any problems. I could notice the difference when I installed them. Anyone else may not have noticed, but I could definitely tell the difference.

·
Registered
3,586 Posts
Ive heard about those 3/4" perch spacers, but never seen them installed, they were really for leveling the truck I think. Do we have any pics of these installed? What color are they? Bare Metal? Black?

·
Registered
160 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
The spacers come in like a gold zinc finish. I painted mine black. There's a picture of them at Superlift.com. It's not a good pict. but it gives you an idea. I can email anybody that wants a pict. of mine. They fit quite nice,(kind of sit like if you were to stack a kitchen plate on top of an identical one) and actually you wouldn't even notice them unless you where looking for them.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts