Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am thinking about getting the skyjacker 5" lift kit, not the system. It says that for the rear it has add-a-leafs. Does the add-a-leafs really lift it 5" or is it more like 3"?

Also I have the 318 and want to go to 38" tires but will my engine have enough power to turn these tires with 4.56 gears? Currently I have a 3" susp and 3" body and 33" tires and stock gears. I might just get lower gears and 35-36" tires if I don't get the 5" susp lift. Thanks

·
Registered
962 Posts
The rear comes with an add a leaf and a new taller block... It does give the full lift height. 38's are not too big for your motor but are sure pushing your axles(in my opinion.) I have 4.56's with 35's and have tore up a lot of stuff on the front end--hubs,steering stab,lower control arm cam,intermediate shaft, etc...

Go for it with some 35-36's and some 4.56's.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
4.56 is as low as you can go with the 1500's axles.

If you currently have 3.92 gears with 33s to 4.56 gears with 38s will be about the same.

If you have 3.55 gears, you'll get a bit more torque out of the deal.

38s will be hard on the axles, and you'll have to mind your u-joints and tie-rods.

It will be work getting them to fit, but you should be able to pull it off. Others around here are better experts as far as fitting BIG tires under their rigs.

·
Registered
969 Posts
You can survive with the 38's but it will be a rough life. half ton axles just dont match well with big tires, especially that front Dana 44. If stuff doesn't break it will wear down faster, just a price you have to pay :(:

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
The rear add a leaf lifts the rear about 3" more than stock, as the rear already is higher than the front by that much. There is no taller block, unless you get the Superlift lift kit, where it utilizes stacking blocks---VERY BAD. The Skyjacker kit adds two shims to the rear, for pinion angle correction. Pretty good kit, I have had no problems with it so far. As far as 38's, yes the 4.56's would be a must, the half ton axles will suffer for it, unless you just drive the truck on the street everywhere and never offroad. If you offroad, 35's are about as big as you want to get, trust me. Hope this helps, and if you have any other questions, just ask.

·
Registered
110 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks for the responses. I don't go off road near as much as I used to. I'm in college so I try not to tear my truck up cause i don't have the money to fix it. When I do go offroad its just in the mud or sometimes sand. I mainy drive my truck on the street except during hunting season is when I go offroad most of the time

·
Registered
969 Posts
Actually the Superlift reuses the factory block, it does not stack blocks.

·
Registered
803 Posts
I have a 3" skyjacker, 3"PA, and and 2 more inches with daystars and stacked blocks. I have never had a problem with my rear blocks being stacked but I don't go off road much either. I ordered the 37" SSRs which is going to force me to go to 4.56 gears shortly thereafter. I am curious to see how my 3.55s do. I have 33's now and can roast my tires off the rims if I wanted. Then again, I have a 360. Good Luck

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
So, you ACTUALLY have two 3" stacked blocks in the rear? And yes, the Superlift does stack blocks, I have seen the kit in person, not trying to be an ass...any way you look at it, stacking blocks is bad, but not too terrible if you don't go too high. Nut stacking two 3" blocks is waiting for the rear end to do something bad...

·
Registered
969 Posts
Oh well maybe the lift i saw the guy swapped in his own blocks but he didnt have any stacked. I actually never really thought about the superlift that much so i dont really know much about it. I checked their website and they said they have an option of either add a leafs or blocks so that might be why. Honestly i never see very many dodges with the superlift, its mostly rancho and skyjacker.

96 Ram 5.2L V8 4" trailmaster suspension lift, Flowmaster Dual exhaust, 36" swamper radials on 16x8 US wheels, 4.56 Gears, Grizzly rollbar 2 KC daylighters, Mopar pcm, K&N cold air intake, bed mounted spare tire carrier with a full size spare

·
Registered
46 Posts
Mine is the 5" superlift and the blocks are stacked in the back. I don't get to off road much at all though. And when I do it isn't too bad.

·
Registered
969 Posts
Did it lift the truck 5" in the front and 5" in the rear?, or was it a leveling kit to level the rear with the front?

·
Registered
174 Posts
My friends 87 ram pick up has a stock 318 and he is running 44s with 5 inch suspension and 3 inch body lift, plus cut fenders and has 4.88 gears and runs fine. The only problem he has with the entire truck is he has to carry 2 spare axles with him when because when we go wheeling or just driving the 44s snap his 1/2 ton axles like toothpicks.
Anyone know where we can get rockwell 2 1/4 ton steering knuckles because we are rebuilding a front end axle that will evenually go under his truck with the rockwell rear. THOSE THINGS ARE EXPENSIVE!!!!!!!

Mods to come (order to come): tranny rebuild, light bar w/ 5 KC lights, 3 inch body lift, Ramsey Patriot 15000lbs winch, 6 inch suspension, 35x13x15 M/T Radials, 4.56 w/ detriot lockers in front and rear

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Not really that expensive, I can get them for about $1200 rebuilt, conservatively.

·
Registered
1,234 Posts
The 5" lift with 35's is the perfect combo! The kit levels out the entire truck. I had the 3.92's which did fine, but I just upgraded to the 4.56 R&P's. Im very happy with this set-up! :bigthumb:

1 - 16 of 16 Posts