Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ok yet another issue :wall: I tried to put the truck in 4x4 today and do not believe it engaged. The transfer case engaged but I do not believe the front axle did. My 4x4 light did not come on and it did not feel like the front was pulling. Where should I start checking and how can I know for sure if the front axle is engaged and maybe just my light is out?

Thanks in advance

Glen
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,923 Posts
start checking the hoses on the cad.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
1,681 Posts
:withstupid: Probably your CAD. If its in 4wd the front driveshaft will not turn with the wheels on the ground.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
On 2005-12-11 09:02, JustRamIt wrote:
:withstupid: Probably your CAD. If its in 4wd the front driveshaft will not turn with the wheels on the ground.

What do you mean the drive shaft wont turn with the wheels on the ground?

Isnt the 4x4 linked somehow to the cruise control as as far as vacuum? My cruise works fine. Another stupid question. Where is the 4x4 light? Is it in the dash cluster or down below?

Thanks

Glen
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5,171 Posts
On 2005-12-12 16:03, GlenC wrote:


What do you mean the drive shaft wont turn with the wheels on the ground?

Isnt the 4x4 linked somehow to the cruise control as as far as vacuum? My cruise works fine. Another stupid question. Where is the 4x4 light? Is it in the dash cluster or down below?

Thanks

Glen

On a 97' the 4wd light will be to the right of the steering wheel. Not up by the speedometer. Also what you need to do is when you put it in 4wd make sure that you cant reach down and turn the front driveshaft by hand. If you can then you have a problem in your transfer case not engaging. Next with it in 4wd pull the vacuum lines off of the CAD and stick your fingers over them and see if the hoses will suck your fingers to them. You should be able to feel. If you then your CAD is not engageing and need to replaced or you may be able to pull it off and slide the fork back and forth and put it back on and it may work. If your truck has been sitting for a couple months so that may be your problem.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
133 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
On 2005-12-12 16:34, Robert97dodge wrote:


On a 97' the 4wd light will be to the right of the steering wheel. Not up by the speedometer. Also what you need to do is when you put it in 4wd make sure that you cant reach down and turn the front driveshaft by hand. If you can then you have a problem in your transfer case not engaging. Next with it in 4wd pull the vacuum lines off of the CAD and stick your fingers over them and see if the hoses will suck your fingers to them. You should be able to feel. If you then your CAD is not engageing and need to replaced or you may be able to pull it off and slide the fork back and forth and put it back on and it may work. If your truck has been sitting for a couple months so that may be your problem.

Thanks Robert, that helps alot. Soon as it warms up enough to go climbing under this thing I will check those things out

Again thanks a ton

Glen
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,000 Posts
the way i check if 4wd is working is i find a slick area like ice, snow, loose gravel, my neighbors lawn at 2:30 in the morning etc. and floor it. if the front spins it works and if not i start diagnosing things.
 
1 - 7 of 7 Posts
Top