Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,400 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a question for all you guys out there having tranny problems. Why is it that when you had to replace your 46RE you didn't just swap in a built 47RE. I was under the impression that it would be a straight bolt in, but am unsure. It seems that you would have the added strength of a heavier duty transmission and I really haven't seen too many complaints posted on the board regarding the 47RE's. Just curious as I have a 46RE myself and would like to know that if I do start having problems that this is a viable option.

·
Registered
2,415 Posts
Well, I asked the same question of the experts on this subject, and the answer was "they both have problems, might as well just build this one up, I'll be using heavier duty parts anyway". The cases are pretty much the same, save for some heavier duty clutch packs in the 47RE, and few odds and ends. I have priced the 47RE's (if you can find them) at a junkyard, with low mileage, and these guys want almost $2000 for them. I would sooner just get this one rebuilt, and know that it is right, with a warranty again. It is an option for ya, if you want, it is a direct bolt up, but the cost effectiveness is just not there, for me at least when I can spend less money on a rebuild (guess I needed it anyway...) and when it is done, it will be stronger than a 47RE ever conceived of being. But, it is entirely up to you...

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
AFAIK, the 46RE and 47RE are the same housings, and mostly the same pieces, just the 47 is "built" from the factory. Heavier duty clutches, bands, gears, etc, but still the same flaws and still the same intolerance of heat.

The mopar tranny builders I've talked basically replace a lot of "modern" plastic/lightweight parts with HD parts that are used to rebuilt the 727s. And you could bolt a 727 up to a Hemi at 500hp and not worry about it grenading...

·
Registered
81 Posts
i have a question on these trannys. i have the 72 with the divorced transfer i know that the 46 will bolt to the 360, but does anyone know how to wire in the over drive?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Depends on the year 46. The 46RHs shouldn't be too hard. Probably just too wires, one for OD, and another for TC lock-up.

Rigging up the controls for it may be iffy, though.

Best bet is to get a FSM for about the right year donor truck, and read up on the controls going to the tranny, and see what's different, and what you'll need to add.

They really explain how things work in teh FSM, into more detail than you want, normally.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts