Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So, my work van is up and running and I drove it for work today. Runs pretty good, BUT it does have a few issues.

1.) Idles high. throws no codes. I have no idea how much higher then normal it is, as there is no tach on the ram vans... :roll: Its nothing to anoying, its not so high that it slams into gear, but just an issue. I am guessing it might have something to do with the fact that the engine I installed is a EGR manifolded engine, and the Van engine was a non-egr engine. I didnt connect the vaccum lines to the egr actuator on the rear of the intake manifold... should I?

2.) The torque converter seems to lock and unlock at the wrong times. I am wondering if I made a mistake by installing the 46RH torque converter? The only reason I used this converter was it was brand new and came with the engine I bought. I am dead sure the tranny in the Van was a 46RE as its a 98 model year van. I hope it might be somthing as simple as just adjusting the throttle linkage for the line pressure to the correct adjustment, and not that I have the wrong converter in there.

3.) Anyway to find out on a 98 van where it reads the speedo from? I put 265/75R17 tires on it in place of the stock 225/75R16's :naughty: :silly: Hey, it looks way cooler and handles pretty good on a wide set of H2 wheels! :D: :rotfl: Only had to do a little fender trimming up front! :hack:

4.) This van has a Corp 9.25 rear with a wondefully craptacular open differential! :puke: It does have 3.92 gears though, so at least its not a gutless pig... ok, it is, its a heavy van with a slush box... anyway, Any of you have a stock Limited Slip that would fit this carrier laying around you want to help a brother out with? I would greatly appreciate it, as when winter comes, i am not looking forward to driving a one wheel wonder!

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
I think your converter is the problem with tranny :sorry:

The trash loc is different than a open carrier, you'll need to swap the whole carrier out.

·
Registered
2,372 Posts
well if the van is anything like my ram it reads the speed from the sensor on the rear diff.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
I'm not aware there was a "difference" between the converters that came in the 46R trannies. The difference, basically, between the H and the E transmissions is that the H is a totally hydraulically controlled transmission, whereas the E utilizes an electronic solenoid to control line pressure...and there are sensors that feed information to the computer indicating what the line pressure is.

Many folks think the 46RE is totally electronically/computer controlled, as the GM 4L60E and Ford AOD-E/4R70/4R70W are. That's not the case. The 46RE is a "hybrid," really. It's almost totally hydraulically controlled, save for the solenoid and sensors I speak of.

Blah, blah, blah...not to say there isn't a problem with the transmission and/or torque converter, but the fact that it was supposed to be installed in front of an earlier model (46RH) tranny and it's installed in front of a 46RE, which is the same transmission (save for a solenoid that has no impact on converter function), I don't think the converter (46RH) to transmission (46RE) "issue" is a problem, at all.

I would think your high idle deal may have something to do with the EGR not having all the ports plugged up. It could be pulling a vacuum from one of those ports, possibly a very small amount of vacuum that is inaudible...but that might be enough for the idle to come up. I would start plugging ports on the EGR and verifying you have no vacuum leaks.

·
Registered
683 Posts
I believe the converters are the same. Zac is right about the re/rh difference. The only thing I am aware of as far as the differences in those transmisions is going to be the valve bodies and the stuff in the o/d housings( on the rh there is a hydraulic valve that is operated by centrifical force) on the RE this is all computer stuff. I think you might have to look at your throttle position sensor to cure your converter lockup situation.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
cool, I know when I had my 1500 I messed with the plstic clip on the trottle linkage for the tranny, and by adjusting that, I was able to get that tranny to shift nice and crisp so maybe I will play with that a little. I didnt think there would be a difference in TC's, but didnt know. Now, the question is, think there might be a chance there is a difference in the TC they used in a Van vrs the Pickup?

Zac, I will see if I can find any vaccum leaks, with how much of a mess it was under the hood before I tore it apart, it wouldnt completely suprise me if there was one.

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
I doubt there is much of a difference, if any at all, in the converter used in the van vs. that used in the trucks. Maybe stall speed...maybe.

As Josh suggests, make sure the TPS is in good fashion and everything is in proper order, there. You may try to adjust the TV cable, as well, as you note.

I would have to believe there's a vacuum leak somewhere, with all that EGR stuff on the motor you indicate you left unhooked/unplugged.

·
Registered
412 Posts
Since it hasnt been mentioned, I will. Your egr valve itself is a controlled vacuum leak. It could have gunk on the valve itself that will keep it from completly seating causing high idle. improper egr operation (ie sticking) could also cause the feel of the converter issues you mentioned but that is not as likely. Just a possibility.

·
Registered
3,261 Posts
Yep, I was WRONG. Need to pull my head out of my a$$.

The TC for the RE/RH are essentially the same inside, except for the lockup/non-lockup converters. The stall will be slightly different depending on the torque of the motor.

93-95 5.2L no weights
93-95 5.9L weights for balance

96 & up 5.2/3.9L no weights and the bolt pattern is symmetrical. The balancing is done on the flexplate.

The speedo should be the sensor on the rear diff. Your mph's is probably only be off by 5-10% If the speedo is just screwed up and not reading right at all, this will cause the tranny to act up.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I think I got it all figured out! I got a MIL light yesterday, with a code indicating "Designated Idle Exeeded" DUH, I know that! :rotfl: Anyway, I played with it today, and found out the following...

1.) Checked for vac leaks, and found none. I pulled the 95 TB off and put all the sensors back in the 98 TB and installed that. Still no difference (didnt think they were different, but thought I would try that since I had it). I then replaced the TPS with a new one... nope not that either! :wall: But while I was messing around with it, I notice that there was a large "sucking" sound from the TB, and I thought for sure it was the blades in the TB... BUT, it was coming from the rear of the TB. Turns out that the idle motor was not working. It was wide open. So, I pulled that, and used the other one I had off the other TB I had. Plugged it all in, fired it up, and in a couple seconds, sucking sound GONE! Idle went back down and wala it runs better. NOW, I have a question, could I have damaged the engine any running it that lean for a tank of gas? I am guessing that is why I knocked out a miserable 8.7 MPG on my first tank. And that was after refiguring for larger tires! :shock: Note to you getting really crappy mileage, and loss of power, check that Idle motor, it might be stuck open!

2.) Turns out I had the TV cable adjustment too tight. I let it out so that it was just right with no slack, but not tight where it connects to the TB. Shifts fine now and accelerates alot better too.

3.) Just watching my speed, its about 5-6 mph off at 50 mph. Eventually I will have to do somthing about it, cuz I dont want a ticket. I will have to see if I can have it reprogrammed like I did with my truck for larger tires... who knows.

4.) I am disappointed, I thought by now someone would have shipped me thier stock LS carrier and LS. I am still waiting, my door step is lonely, please send it a package! :rotfl: :rotfl:

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
I doubt you hurt the engine. If you're really worried about it, pull the spark plugs and give them a look. They'll tell you how lean the motor was, if it was lean. I would guess the computer compensated for that idle air valve being hung open by opening the injector pulse width more than enough to correct any lean condition...hence the poor fuel mileage.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts