Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
has anyone done an engine swap in a 99 tahoe 4x4 with a 454. i'm planning on doing it got everything else figured out just curious on the header situation. dont know if i'm just gonna have to fab up my own headers of if i can use 80's model 4x4 blazer or suburban 454 headers to clear my frame rails and steering column. any help would be great thanks

·
Registered
205 Posts
i cant help about the swap, but i would imagine headers for a 454 in a fullsize truck of the same body style should work. i dont think the older body style headers would work though. not sure.
im sure Ken will have the answer your looking for anyways lol

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
What Body style is it, NBS or OBS???

The factory headers should clear just fine the frame is the same as the Burban and Pickup which offered 7.4L and 8.1L engines.

The factory engine for that would either be a 5.7 if OBS or a 4.8/5.3 if its a NBS.

Which do you currently have???

BTW: Ken is the GM Guru here on PS.com and I am his Grasshopper

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
On 2009-06-04 14:38, BigWillieStyle_21 wrote:
What Body style is it, NBS or OBS???

The factory headers should clear just fine the frame is the same as the Burban and Pickup which offered 7.4L and 8.1L engines.

The factory engine for that would either be a 5.7 if OBS or a 4.8/5.3 if its a NBS.

Which do you currently have???

BTW: Ken is the GM Guru here on PS.com and I am his Grasshopper
its the old body style with the current vortec 5.7l. thats what i was thinking. i want full length headers i guess they make those headers for these trucks

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Full-Lengrh headers will do nothing but kill your low-end power and gas mileage.

Shorty headers are much better for such a vehicle. LongTubes wont do anythign on a Low RPM street driven vehicle. They are for the strip and High RPM applications.

Not a 7.4l BB that runs Vortec Hardware.

BTW: Is no CURRENT 5.7L Vortec

The available engine setup is 4.8/5.3/6.0 etc...

The 5.7L Vortec was used until 1999-2000 and then for the most part replaced completely by the next generation 5.3L!!!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
the engine in there "currently" is the vortec 5.7L in the 2000 tahoe. i'm replacing with an early model 70's-early80's 454 going to be performance built with carburator. the truck is going to be somewhat street driven but it's probably going to see alot of mud pits so it will be somewhat of a high rpm engine. going to do straight axle conversion with probably 44' or 47's and geared. so the shorties might be better uh?

·
Registered
3,258 Posts
Well if your choice is a Carbed 454 that's your choice... I assumed you would be using a late-model 454 with TBI or a vortech 454 as it would be an easy swap.

Looks like you are building a swamp buggy and I really can't offer much information there!!!

Good Luck

G

·
the headers for a 1990-93 454ss bolt in but you can also use ones for a 88-2000 k3500 454 truck, if you use the 454 block mounts with 5.7 frame mounts then the motor sits up a little higher and you have a little more clearance for the header tubes with the steering column and frame

i myself am using hedman ceramic long tubes and i think they were for a 73-87 truck but i would have to check them again to make sure.

what trans are you running?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
On 2009-06-04 19:00, outalne94z71 wrote:
the headers for a 1990-93 454ss bolt in but you can also use ones for a 88-2000 k3500 454 truck, if you use the 454 block mounts with 5.7 frame mounts then the motor sits up a little higher and you have a little more clearance for the header tubes with the steering column and frame

i myself am using hedman ceramic long tubes and i think they were for a 73-87 truck but i would have to check them again to make sure.

what trans are you running?
thanks for the info. its going to,hopefully,be a [email protected]$$ mud toy that i can drive back and forth to work and beat on on the weekend, dont really care about gas mileage. rather have fun than drive a prius. i did do some research as far as the headers situation goes and found 90's model 454 trucks that i might use, but man they're pricey. i have a turbo 350 that i'm going to beef up obviously, with a np205 t-case behind it

·
Registered
205 Posts
you might already know this, but you will need to do a swap to a pass side front axle if you have a GM 205, right now your IFS is drivers side pot, so it wont work.
if you plan to do this all at once your fine anyway, but if you plan to run the 454 with IFS make sure you get the right tcase.
sounds like it will be a neat machine, but are you sure you want to be hopping out of a truck on 44's/47's everyday? my 35's got annoying enough lol

·
Registered
20 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
yeah.theres no way i'm going to run the 454 with the ifs, i'm dumb not that dumb though. i'm in the process of doing a straight axle swap right now, just looking for a good gm dana 60, already got everything else. as far as the jumping out goes, well, we'll see what happens. anybody got good pain pills, HA
:bluecry:

·
Registered
1 Posts
Full-Lengrh headers will do nothing but kill your low-end power and gas mileage.

Shorty headers are much better for such a vehicle. LongTubes wont do anythign on a Low RPM street driven vehicle. They are for the strip and High RPM applications.

Not a 7.4l BB that runs Vortec Hardware.

BTW: Is no CURRENT 5.7L Vortec

The available engine setup is 4.8/5.3/6.0 etc...

The 5.7L Vortec was used until 1999-2000 and then for the most part replaced completely by the next generation 5.3L!!!
No the last years of the 350 was 96’ - 2000’

1 - 13 of 13 Posts