Off Road Vehicles banner
21 - 35 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
345 Posts
I'd say just stroke it to a 408. You already have the engine, and it pretty much makes it a bolt out bolt in process, minus the engine work of course, and keeps all the original wiring and sensors and chit. Then bolt on a fastman trans to handle the power of the 408.

But if you want to go through all of the extra work to put in a different engine then more power to you. :bigthumb: Though I would vote for something like a caddy 500 and a divorced 205. :drool:

Cameron

·
Registered
52 Posts
I hope you realize I was stating the whole pissing match thing because people were chiming in saying why someone should go one way or the other when the guy was simply asking if it could be done and if someone had done it. Not if someone overworked their truck with an overweight load its entire life making it a better truck than another make and model.

Anyways, I agree if you are going to do the swap get a complete donor truck for the swap and swap everything. But your more cost effective route is the 408 or possibly a cummins swap.

·
Registered
436 Posts
hold up a sec, for the chevy guy up top sayin what dodge gas motor and tranny holds up??? you put a big block mopar and a 727 and it will hold up better and longer than a chevy. personally i wouldnt waste my time puttin a chevy motor in a dodge, dont be cheap, build it right, youll be much happier, to give ya alittle example, i bought me a 400 big block mopar for 1000 bucks, it has the biggest bore of ALL the mopar big blocks, including the 426 hemi. you can bore it and use 440 pistons to zero deck it and get 10:1 compression, use a mild cam, and some head work and ill guarantee 430 h.p. min., i have the dyno numbers on my buddies.i put the edelbrock performer rpm cam in mine and dynos at 525 h.p. and its not that much more expensive than a 454. you cant beat the torque from the dodge big blocks either, why do you think the chevy and ford crybabies whined and cryed until they banned the mopars from nascar and drag racing!! :flipoff:

·
Registered
4,995 Posts
On 2007-03-12 18:22, bigcornfedtex wrote:
why do you think the chevy and ford crybabies whined and cryed until they banned the mopars from nascar and drag racing!! :flipoff:

:roll:

You have NO idea what you're talking about.

And, here's a question, if the 400 has the biggest bore of all the B/RB engines, how can you use "440" pistons in it? Wouldn't those pistons be slapping around in the bores if the 400 block's bores were bigger than the "440 pistons?"

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
On 2007-03-12 17:39, ZacD wrote:
This thread is...

interesting.

http://i12.photobucket.com/albums/a244/zacdashner/popcorn.gif

tell me about it... the lack of... hell i dont know, is really bothering me! Some people... why dont ya shut up if you dont have any thing worth saying... That actually HELPS in this thread. :roll:

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
This thread is more retarded then the fellow in Matt's avatar.

I am so sick of this "my truck can pull blah blah blah and has blah blah miles on it" the guy asked a question and instead got a pissing match.

Having put engines where they don't belong and not being brand loyal, I will give you my .02.

Don't waste your money.

Believe me, the headaches will be huge, after the fabwork to even get it in there(motor mounts, oil pans, exhaust, bellhousings....then you will have to deal with adapting a flexplate or flywheel...then you will have to wire it up...and after you finish all of this you had better plan on keeping it forever, because no one will ever want to buy it.

If you want a straight axle, do an SAS on a GM product. If you want a workhorse and have to have a Dodge get a CTD or V-10, the V-10 is comparable to the 454 and prob gets better mileage.

·
Registered
436 Posts
zacd, evidentlly you dont know anything about building a motor, and read your history on the 426 in drag racing and nascar, it won so many times they banned it. ive built more than youve probably ever looked at, anyways for my buddies motor and mine you bore the 400 block .020 over and use a .040 over 440 piston, i have all the part numbers if you have to see them to believe me, just puttin my opinion on what could be done, the 400 block with stock pistons has bout an eighth inch space of piston to deck heighth for emission purposes and to drop the compression, when you use a 440 piston, it is taller and zeros the deck height so you dont have to deck your block and force bracket misalignment, ZacD, when you build a motor yourself and put it in a 2nd gen ram 2wd, EXTENDED CAB, and run low to mid 12's in the quarter naturally asperated, you can come tell me i dont know what im talking about :kicknuts:

·
Registered
436 Posts
dont waste your money on the swap basically was what i was saying :nono:

·
Registered
564 Posts
they did ban the 426 from NASCAR shortly after it took 1 2 3 4 in the Daytona 500

http://www.allpar.com/mopar/hemi/hemi.html

more info

For the ’66 season, things would change again. NASCAR rules now dictated that a certain number of engines be produced, to become legal. To meet the requirements, Chrysler initiated the Street Hemi program. Basically, this meant that a detuned version, of the racing power plant, became a production option in certain Dodges and Plymouths. The 426 Hemi returned to the NASCAR ovals, and resumed its winning ways.

know as the homologation rule

·
Registered
2,301 Posts
It was banned from Nascar in certain vehicles, but it was never banned from the NHRA. the Petty's took that year off from Nascar and dragraced.

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Sorry I have been on latley, I have been busy.
The truck is not a DD anymore. It will just be used to hual my 4 wheeler, wheel it a little bit, and when I get the time and spare money I'm going to put 40"-46" tires and axles. So I'm not worried about the fuel mileage. I'm starting to consider a mopar big block instead of the 454.

·
Registered
2 Posts
Well any thing can be done. I’m thinking about it my self. 454 in my 1999 doge ram 4x4. Also the 400 turbo trans as well. The 360 runs but the transmission has water in it. So I have the Chevy running gear in a dodge truck . I can’t afford to buy a transmission for the dodge and I already have the Chevy running gear

21 - 35 of 35 Posts