Off Road Vehicles banner
1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've searched and didn't come up with anyting. Has anyone done it on here? Or anyone have any information?
The truck: 97' dodge 1500

·
Registered
944 Posts
i have a 98 chevy 3500 with a 454 its stock and i am not impressed with its power

why do you want to go with the 454 in a dodge there are a lot of dodge engines that put out the same amount of power if not more

G

·
On 2007-03-11 15:41, redjosh wrote:
i have a 98 chevy 3500 with a 454 its stock and i am not impressed with its power

why do you want to go with the 454 in a dodge there are a lot of dodge engines that put out the same amount of power if not more

if your not impressed with it, you should pull it out and give me the heads :bigthumb:

·
Registered
944 Posts
its an asigned work truck so i can't really just pull the motor and give it way its has power but i think my ram with a 360 has just as much power

G

·
thats because the vortec 454 has dished pistons and a weak cam, but your 100cc heads on my mk4 short block bumps mine up to a 9.4-1 compression from the crappy 7.9-1 it has now

·
Registered
944 Posts
well wish i could help you out cause i hate this truck its been to many problems but its not my truck so i am stuck

so the heads are the problem holding back the power

G

·
On 2007-03-11 17:51, redjosh wrote:
well wish i could help you out cause i hate this truck its been to many problems but its not my truck so i am stuck

so the heads are the problem holding back the power

on mine yes on yours its the cam and the pistons, but mostly the cam

·
Registered
131 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
chrysler cost alot more to built up then chevy and ford. I have owned both 360 and 318 not impressed I know they make 408 stroker kit for the 360, but I would rather get a 454.

·
Registered
944 Posts
well do the 454 and let me know cause i would love to see it cause differant is always better

i would hook the ram up to 13000 pounds but i know the trans would fail but i bet the trans on the chevy would too

·
Registered
921 Posts
On 2007-03-11 19:39, Stack wrote:
chrysler cost alot more to built up then chevy and ford. I have owned both 360 and 318 not impressed I know they make 408 stroker kit for the 360, but I would rather get a 454.

Why not sell your truck and buy a Chevy that already has a 454 in it?

That would be the cheapest way by far.

I can't see putting a Chevrolet 454 into a Dodge being cheaper than building your Dodge motor up, in fact, I could see what your asking about being an extremely exspensive proposition.

G

·
On 2007-03-11 19:43, redjosh wrote:

i would hook the ram up to 13000 pounds but i know the trans would fail but i bet the trans on the chevy would too

ive pulled more than that with my half ton with the 4l60e trans and it lasted 187,000 miles before i lost 2nd gear

·
Registered
944 Posts
i say the trans will fail on the ram since the trans leaks

·
Registered
944 Posts
cost of a 440 is a lot more then 454

G

·
On 2007-03-11 21:16, Hometheaterman wrote:
Why would you want to put a Chevy motor in a Dodge? If I was going to do a swap like that I'd put a 440 in there and keep it Dodge.

now if gm does finally buy chrysler does that then make it ok to use a 454 in a dodge?

·
Registered
445 Posts
the 454 is alot cheaper then a 440. well the orange 440 anyway. i believe they call it a wedge 440? they also make what they call the blue 440 wich you could find in the old chrystler new yorkers, but they are made with {expletive} parts. i have heard of people tearin these out and rebuilding them. this topic is funny cuz someone just the other day suggested i tear out my 360 and throw a chevy big block in it. i say keep it in the family, i never liked swapping from another auto maker ie. chevy to ford, ford to dodge ect. though i have seen everyone put a cummins in there trucks but who could blame them. i seen a ford f350 with a cummins post 900hp and 1100ft/lbs in that Diesel Power mag. as for the 360 motor its not that you cant build them its just harder to tune them cuz we all miss running a big carb.

·
Registered
52 Posts
I hope this doesn't turn into a p*ssing match of GM vs. Dodge, but comparing how many trucks are still "alive" is pointless as GM has sold 2 or more trucks to every 1 dodge for plenty of years. And I'm sure there's someone out there who constantly overworks their dodge as well and has plenty of stories pulling overweight loads.

·
Registered
3,385 Posts
On 2007-03-12 10:54, toughbowtietruck wrote:
why dont you guys chime in on helping him insted of saying "oh dont put a chevy motor in a dodge keep it dodge"

you guys have a lot more brand loyalty than you think!!!!

because, for how much he is going to need to spend on getting a GOOD 454 under the hood, its not worth it. Fisrt off, the amount the adaptor is going to cost him to mate a junk Dodge tranny to a 454, and still have a crappy stock tranny, just doesnt make sense. He would be better off buying a GM tranny then. Now, you could try and trace all the wires and spend COUNTLESS hours trying to make all the sensors work for oil pressure, voltage, speedometer, etc etc, or you would have to basicly gut the dash and build a custom cluster from scratch. Now, another big issue is in some states, this actually would be illegal to do in a on-road vehicle, so that is another hurdle to jump in this whole idea. Not to mention, motor mounts, custom brackets for accessories unless you get all the GM stuff, custom headers, did I mention the electrical system yet?

I am not trying to push him away from putting a 454 under the hood because its a GM engine. I am simply stating, as many have, its going to cost probably way more than a 408 stroker. Also the stroker for the most part, keeps the rest of the truck stock.

To be honest, unless you plan on gutting the truck, making it a off-road only truck with minimal wiring and dont care about keeping it on the road, go for it. If your looking for a reliable DD, stop right now...

1 - 20 of 35 Posts