Off Road Vehicles banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
I wonder why there are so many V10s out there? Or specifically, V10s for sale or being parted out? The only thing I can come up with is that most people wanted a good tow vehicle but diesel fuel was hard to find in remote areas. But gasoline is always accessible. So people get the king of gasoline tow vehicles, the Dodge V10. And now diesels are popular enough that all of these outpost-style gas stations are carrying diesel fuel, so previous V10 owners are now scrapping their trucks for diesel-powered trucks.

That's all I can come up with. :dunno:

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
On 2009-08-27 19:25, djgaston wrote:
I wonder why there are so many V10s out there? Or specifically, V10s for sale or being parted out? The only thing I can come up with is that most people wanted a good tow vehicle but diesel fuel was hard to find in remote areas. But gasoline is always accessible. So people get the king of gasoline tow vehicles, the Dodge V10. And now diesels are popular enough that all of these outpost-style gas stations are carrying diesel fuel, so previous V10 owners are now scrapping their trucks for diesel-powered trucks.

That's all I can come up with. :dunno:

Actually, it's Dodges in general. I see a lot out here and in the northwest. I see a lot of newer ones now, but back in highschool, they were everywhere. I'm starting to see more chevrolets, but people will buy them (mega cabs, new chevrolets), lift them up with 40" tires on 20" wheels and use them as a DD. I guess they part their old trucks out or sell them since they have the new ones. Works for me. I always need parts for mine. lol.

If I had the space, I would buy up a lot of these and have a dodge salvage yard. If I would have done that when I got here, I would have probably 20 cummins engines, 11 or 12 V10 engines, numerous transmissions, front/rear axles, t-cases, etc. Not to mention all the good body parts. Only problem was there hasn't been any black panels; and those are the ones I need.

·
Premium Member
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #44
#1, that last one sounds like the whole truck is available for sale, less the parts he needs. Sounds like he needed a parts truck to and is just parting out the spare stuff, could probably get him to give a good price for the whole thing if he doesn't have to do the labor to strip it. Might be something we can split since he said the axles are for sale, you know what I need. I can do without the radiator & trans/xfer if we can get a good deal otherwise. Motor/wiring/ECM are the important stuff. If you find something let me know, I'm not in a rush.

Boz, what are you asking for it? Does it run and drive well enough to get back to Oklahoma or would it need to be towed? I'd be very interested, could even sell the axles to #1.

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
On 2009-08-28 04:23, swirvin21 wrote:
#1, that last one sounds like the whole truck is available for sale, less the parts he needs. Sounds like he needed a parts truck to and is just parting out the spare stuff, could probably get him to give a good price for the whole thing if he doesn't have to do the labor to strip it. Might be something we can split since he said the axles are for sale, you know what I need. I can do without the radiator & trans/xfer if we can get a good deal otherwise. Motor/wiring/ECM are the important stuff. If you find something let me know, I'm not in a rush.

Boz, what are you asking for it? Does it run and drive well enough to get back to Oklahoma or would it need to be towed? I'd be very interested, could even sell the axles to #1.

It runs well but i wouldnt try to drive it Oklahoma. I stripped a couple teeth off of the rear gears and it makes a hella racket when driven. Thats when i stopped driving it and bought the new truck. The engine and trans are in great shape and never once gave me a lick of trouble. Im not really sure what i'd ask for it. I'll take some pictures and maybe a video of it running this weekend and post it up.

Oh and its got the same 2.5" skyjacker kit on it that you've got, with the coils rated for the v10/diesel. :bigthumb:

·
Premium Member
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #46
Sounds good Boz, look forward to getting some more info.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Diesel fuel is not hard to find in remote areas at all but gas can be as its car vs tractor fuel. The reasion you see so many V-10s out cheep is they are gas hogs and get about the same MPGs empty as a diesel does pulling the tractor or cat in a trailer. Not the least that the diesel pulls harder too.

·
Registered
89 Posts
On 2009-09-02 02:21, buttrap wrote:
Not the least that the diesel pulls harder too.
You're right about the gas mileage, but the V10 models have higher torque ratings and towing ratings than the comparable diesel models with the exception of the 5/6 speed manual 2 wheel drives.
http://www.pickuptrucks.com/html/ram_specs.html

·
Registered
1 Posts
Time to make a decision. My plenum gasket is toast and before I start the repair I want to see what ya'll think will best suit my uses.

Stroke the 360 to 408, upgrade the current 360 w/ basic bolt on parts and heads, or full out swap?

Currently: 1998 2500 stock motor, rebuilt trans + shift kit only (HD tow package), upgraded axles, 4.88s & ARBs

What I use it for: I tow my RV 8K, but want to have capability to 10-12K. No daily driver, toy only. Use for search and rescue, moderate wheeling, mainly trail type/rocks, maybe some minor mud, no bogs.

Reason I'm asking before the plenum is I want the Edelbrock Airgap FI. No point in spending the coin if a V10 or diesel would be better. V10 or 12/24V Cummins should swap in without any major fabrication.

Stroking the 360 gives power(costly power), but leaves me with the 46RE. :wall: Cummins requires everything changed, but no weak points, just extra weight. Though it makes my 35s w/ 4.88s overkill. V10 is middle ground in my opinion, unless I score a Viper motor and get the best of both.

I know everyone has an opinion on this one. Keep in mind cost, reliability and replacement parts though. I hear the V10 is tough to score parts.
I know this is an old post but a 47re will NOT bolt to a gas v8. But the internals will fit in the 46re case.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts