21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
55 Posts
haha i just said i did the v10 swap :bigthumb:

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
I would personally go with the V10. You said you didn't want to spend a {expletive}load of money on a built tranny so lets say you stick with a stock one. A 47RE is probably rated to handle around 500 ft-lbs TQ. The HP/TQ ratio on a V10 isn't as large as a cummins so you could probably make 350 HP on a V10 and still not be over that much TQ, whereas a cummins will make that much at about 240-250 HP.

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
On 2009-08-20 19:23, shawnsack wrote:
haha i just said i did the v10 swap :bigthumb:

Yeah but when I clicked Reply, you hadn't submitted yours yet. :D: I forgot about your swap. I think swirvin needs to make friends with you. :rotfl:

Swirvin, the V10 radiator is huge. You may be fine with your aftermarket V8 and electric fans but you should be prepared to swap to the V10 radiator. If you get a donor truck, I'd definitely hold on to that part until you are sure you don't need it. If you don't need it, you can sell the V10 radiator to V8 guys as a pretty awesome upgrade.

·
Premium Member
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Shawnsack, you said I do have to change the radiator? Was hoping to keep the electric stuff I just bought :wall: Guess I can enjoy it until I finish the swap and hopefully get half back selling it here.

Since no one has done a write-up on this, guess I'll try and be the first. Looks like to do a good 408 it'll cost about $4-5K without tranny upgrades etc. Cheapest around $3K without upgrades like heads, etc. After a little research, looks like highball V10 is $4K WITH a 47RE...doesn't sound hard. :twak: I get crap gas mileage now anyways...might as well have fun doing it! :D:

Shawnsack. Can I get some detail on your swap?
What year is yours and what year did you swap in? 2500 to 2500 or did you swap into a 1500?
What parts did you take from the donor besides: motor/tran/xfer, wiring, ECM, radiator.
Is it a simple plug and play with the wiring harnesses? Just plug in the engine V10 harness into mine at the firewall?
Anything NOT work after the swap wiring wise?

I'm looking for a 98-02 V10, don't want the early ones due to OBDI & cracking heads. Should also make my inside comforts more likely to work. Any particular year/model better than the others...not that I will be too picky.

V10sport & Djgaston. Anything I should plan to do to the V10 before I drop her in: upgrades or preventative maintenance? Anything crucial to check on the donor? I'd hate to find out I missed a step while I had the motor on the stand.

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Might wanna contact this guy. He has a V10 for sale.

http://dodgeramv10.yuku.com/topic/1486/t/v-10-forsale.html

He is in Florida.

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
On 2009-08-20 20:04, swirvin21 wrote:

V10sport & Djgaston. Anything I should plan to do to the V10 before I drop her in: upgrades or preventative maintenance? Anything crucial to check on the donor? I'd hate to find out I missed a step while I had the motor on the stand.

Can you use your electric fans on the V10 radiator?

I wouldn't do much to the V10. Definitely a throttle body and try to get some more aggressive tuning when you work on the ECM stuff. I don't know of any problems to look for. I've heard about some motors having two spark plug wires too close together, for the number 5 and 7 cylinders I believe. There have been instances where they burn each other. But just check for obvious signs of damage/wear like you would any other motor and then throw it in the truck. It's a solid design. The V10 is just like a 5.2/5.9, just with two more cylinders and a better torque curve. It's not a really "fast" motor but it will get up and go, and do it with a lot of weight behind it. Great all-around power and it doesn't even require the use of a turbo to perform well. :D:

I'll send you a PM next time I'm in Tulsa and see if you want to meet up, you can get a look at the V10 and get any measurements you need, and we'll take it for a spin. Even with heavy 37 inch tires and 3.55 gears, it will outrun a 5.9 on stock sized tires. I can't wait to get 5.13 gears in this thing and see how hard it pulls when I hammer down. Anyway, I may be over there around Thanksgiving time. My uncle lives in Coweta.

V

·
0 Posts
5 and 7 wires have been know to crossfire. Just need to keep them seperate in the loom. That is all that is needed for that fix. Early V10's had porious casting on the heads causing coolant leaks. Ive never seen one personally with the issue. There was also a recall on early V10s to have the intake gasket changed. Again this applied to early V10's IE 95 and 96.
You maybe able to reuse the v8 radiator, but I would try to get one from a v10/Diesel. They are alot bigger than the v8's. Never had an issue with cooling on mine. Id throw a set of new wires and plugs in when you intall it, and check for any leaking gaskets. Alot easier fix out of the truck. LOL

Never had any leaks with mine. As performance wise, dont need alot, I ran a 53mm TB, dop in air filter, headers and a tweaked computer. It would run 15 second 1/4 mile with 11" of lift and 42's

·
Registered
5,421 Posts
Yeah, I was gonna say swap spark plugs and consider installing headers while you have the motor out.

V

·
0 Posts
On 2009-08-20 19:26, Maddog Forever wrote:
I would personally go with the V10. You said you didn't want to spend a {expletive}load of money on a built tranny so lets say you stick with a stock one. A 47RE is probably rated to handle around 500 ft-lbs TQ. The HP/TQ ratio on a V10 isn't as large as a cummins so you could probably make 350 HP on a V10 and still not be over that much TQ, whereas a cummins will make that much at about 240-250 HP.

V10 can eat a stock 47 as well as the CTD, ask me how I know LOL

If you build a 47re for a near stock v10 you wont need billet input shaft or billet converter. I got by with 500 kit form DTT. Extra clutch in the forward drum, billet piston, higher ratio servo lever, beefed up band strut, and shift kit in the valve body.

Also if you tear into the tranny, make sure you tap the top of the tranny and add a fitting for a vent line and plug the weep hole behind the converter. That way you will have a nice water proof transmission.

·
Registered
1,923 Posts
hell yea a bigger or stroked motor is cooler.... but why not just take the intake off and fix the gasket for 40 bucks? :roll:

·
Premium Member
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
I'm going to go ahead and fix the plenum, it's pretty cheap and will make everything run better while I look for a motor to swap.

Did some more research and found in the recent 4wheeler that the gen III Viper V10 in the SRT-10 bolts up to a 48RE that can be swapped to a 4wd. Too rich for my blood and I think the wiring would be difficult, but might jump on one if the price is right. Anyone have any experience with these?

Been having a hard time finding a salvage yard within 200 miles or so of Tulsa that will sell me a salvage V10 truck. Any suggestions would help.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
There is a 98 2500 V10/5-sp. 4wd SB/EC 25 miles from me for $1200. Only problem the ad says is the transfer case is split in two. I've seen the truck go from $1500 to $1200, so I'm sure less than a grand would get it. There's about 2 or 3 trucks right now with V10's being parted out, all less than 50 miles from me. They are out there. Though maybe not close to OK, they are out there.

FWIW, I liked my v10. Although it cost me a clutch, 38's and 3.55 gears were farily easy to turn.

·
Premium Member
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #33
Jebediah...you interested in delivering to my house for $1500 total?? :bigthumb: If it runs and doesn't sound like it's about to die, sounds like a deal! Could probably sell off leftovers for $500.

I'm in CT right now for 2 weeks, be gone in October
for 3 more and 2 more in Nov. Trying to figure out a way to get something to Tulsa.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
If you wanted the engine, I would buy the front axle, transmission, various interior pieces and misc. stuff from you.

·
Premium Member
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Things I need: complete engine, transmission, wiring harness (complete engine side of firewall), radiator, ECM. I'd like the broken t-case to in case I have to swap the input shaft into my 241. I can't think of much else. I'm willing to work with you on this. If it has a bunch of good other parts we could even get kindof close to breaking even parting it out. My only problem is picking it up right now...too mant trips coming up. Let me know what you think, if the truck is good, should work out to a good deal.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
There's some pics of it in the ad. The ad says the interior is rough, but the body looks good. That one is about 40 miles away, so I would have to look at it on Saturday or Sunday. I'm almost positive you would have to swap, as that one probably has the 29 spline input. I will call the guy later this week and see what he says as far as the price.

Edit: Here's the ad: http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=7627942&cat=103&lpid=.
I also found another one 5 minutes from that guy:: http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=7534605&cat=&lpid=5.
Then there's this one, although not bad like the other two: http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=7641935&cat=&lpid=2.
Finally, this guy is about 5 minutes away. Not sure what he has left. The ad does say he sold the transmission, though. Still, if you could get the motor, ECM, wire harness and misc. stuff for cheap, finding a trans would be easy: http://www.ksl.com/index.php?nid=218&ad=7627274&cat=&lpid=1

This place seems like the mecca for used v10's. :rotfl:

·
Premium Member
1,467 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
I'd really like to get the auto tranny with it, if it has one, but won't pass up a good deal on just a motor and the other stuff. No manual swap for me thank you. Need to make sure the donor is at least a 1998 or higher though so I don't get into any computer issues, etc. Let me know what you find out. I can get someone like R&L or another carrier to ship if necessary. You have found the V10 mecca :bigthumb:

First one looks good for just the engine, etc.
2nd one is rough and is 1997 and the 3rd is the 1996 which I've heard can have some head issues.
The last one is another 1997, but could probably get a helluva deal on it.

Let's see if we can find a donor and split the parts.

Anybody else want a piece of the action?? :D:

·
Registered
1,138 Posts
I might be willing to part mine out (id rather not, id love to sell it as a parts truck). Its a 98 reg. cab 4x4. I dont know where the title is for it either. The interior is in good shape. Front axle is in good shape, rear needs a new ring and pinion as i somehow stripped some teeth off. Its been sitting in storage for 3 years (my dad goes and starts it every so often to make sure everything still operates). Its an auto with about 160k miles on it. I changed the oil regularly and never once had an issue with the engine, transmission, or transfer case. I was gonna turn it into a trail rig but i cant stop spending money on my diesel. :rotfl:

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
On 2009-08-27 04:26, swirvin21 wrote:
I'd really like to get the auto tranny with it, if it has one, but won't pass up a good deal on just a motor and the other stuff. No manual swap for me thank you. Need to make sure the donor is at least a 1998 or higher though so I don't get into any computer issues, etc. Let me know what you find out. I can get someone like R&L or another carrier to ship if necessary. You have found the V10 mecca :bigthumb:

First one looks good for just the engine, etc.
2nd one is rough and is 1997 and the 3rd is the 1996 which I've heard can have some head issues.
The last one is another 1997, but could probably get a helluva deal on it.

Let's see if we can find a donor and split the parts.

Anybody else want a piece of the action?? :D:

If you're not in a hurry, I will keep my eye out. There was a 2001 V10 parted out about 3 months ago. Blew the rear end to pieces, and wrecked the bed. I think he wanted $2500 for the entire truck (80k miles). Interior was super clean. I would have bought it simply to put his interior in mine. Anyway, there's about 11 I have seen since I got back in May being parted out/sold.

·
Registered
3,233 Posts
21 - 40 of 49 Posts