Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
yea well ive decided that this summer i was gonna earn money to go for 4.56 gears front and rear...with front and rear Air-Lockers....and tips on brands to look into or what special other items to add while i add thses would help....thanks

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
ARB has not released a locker for the rear 9.25" axle as far as I know.

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Right now there are a handfull of automatic lockers out for that axle. Detroit (or TracTech No-Spin, same thing) will be the strongest since it is full case and been around forever.

There are full case lockers an lunch box lokcers, the new gearless lockers may be available (much quieter operation).

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
sorry i dont really know that much about the whole locker and gear stuff....but what exactly does a Automativ locker mean??? does that mean it aoutomatically locks in when the tires spin or that it is for a automatic tranny???...sorry for bein a dumba$$ about this, but i have no clue what these are all about...thanks
-Neil

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
You got it right with the first guess.

An automatic locker will stay unlocked until you rotate one tire more than the other by a certain amount, then it locks up. Once you reverse that difference in rotation, it will unlock.

So, if you're turning lightly, it won't lock, if you're turning really sharp, it will.

Also, if you "goose-it" going around a corner, you'll spin the inside tire, causing the unit to lock, and everyone will know it, too (chirp. HOWL!!! from the tires).

But off-road, frickin amazing. Watching Jason's truck going up and over stuff is just cool. Only thing cooler is watching a truck locked front/rear going and slowly spinning all four tires as it claws it's way forward.

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
ok cool...so what would you guys recommend i do??? for a truck that i drive on road alot..but do go off-roading moderatly.... i do want lockers...just what set-up do u think i should go for??? thanks alot
-Neil

·
Premium Member
9,227 Posts
Yes teh ARB is available for the Dana 44 in ou Ram. It will run about $650 for the locker, plus the install, compressor and wiring. You could save money if you have the lcoker/gears installed and wire up and plumb the compressor yourself.

·
Banned
1,258 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
ok cool thanks alot Jason and Woody and jbsdodge...you guys helped me out alot, im gonna go with 4.56 gears with the ARB up fromt and detroit in the rear...thanks again
-Neil

1 - 11 of 11 Posts