Off Road Vehicles banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This ATV forum I go to has a truck section, and all these guys talk about is lifting thier Z71's 12" and putting 4" body lifts on them. Is this possible? Can you really lift an IFS truck that high, and if you could, wouldn't the tires that would fit under it toally kill the axles and cv's? And I thought 3" was the legal limit for body lifts, 4"+ just seems scary. Never mind it would look terrible on a Chevy.

Can anyone enlighten me on this? All my Chevy knowledge pertains to SFA 73-87 trucks, as I built a '73 K10 in high school.

I tend to shy away from anything IFS.

Thanks.

Oh, and there's one guy over there talking about lifting his Avalanche 10". Sheesh.

·
Registered
683 Posts
Whiplash suspensions makes a 12" lift for Chevy but they are a topic in the Dodge section of this. There was many bad things said about them on here. I've heard of them before I joined this board and drooled over the 10" lifts they make for Dodge but after reading about them on here I'll take everybodys word for it since I've never actually seen a Whiplash lift perform.

·
Registered
234 Posts
Whipiash offers a 10 and i think 12 inch IFS kkit. CTS offers a 9 inch IFS kit too. There is a company called Full trollte suspension who makes 10 or 12 inch IFS kits and i think they also offer the 4 or 4.5 inch body lift youre refering to. Check them out at http://www.fullthrottlesuspension.com . As much as i perfer dodges over chevys and solid axle over IFS the chevys with 10 inch IFS lifts and 4.5 inch body lifts and 44inch swampers actually look prett sweet. You can look at some in the gallery at the website i gave you. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
896 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I dunno dude, a 10" IFS lift coupled with a 4.5" body lift seems pretty scary to me. Why not just swap in a SFA and do it right?

·
Registered
234 Posts
Well personally that is what i would do(actually i wouldnt buy an IFS truck in the first place) but not everybody would. Thaats is why they make different things so people w/ different tastes can all get what they want!

·
Registered
83 Posts
the amount of money that a bib ifs kit would costs plus the installation costand than you wouldnt sleep at night worrying what is gonna break down the street.

personaly its cheaper,easier,and,less worry swapping in a straight axle.ive got about 110000 miles on my 94 and installed the straight axle almost instantly thereafter and with 35s and sometimes 39 mickeys i havent broke,bent,or wore out a single part.

maybe im lucky and i definatly maintain it but i aint skeered of her either.

·
Banned
2,769 Posts
ya whiplash makes both of those lifts but im thining the same thing.... that lift and tire combination would abbsolutly kill the IFS!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
i have a 2 dr chevy tahoe with a full throttle 9.5" lift and a 3" body lift and full throttle makes a 12" kit for my truck. the only reason i dident get it is b-cause i couldent justify the cost over sfa conversion. as for durability of ifs, i beat the living s*?t out ov my truck and ive yet to break anything (knock on wood). it all boils down to how much offroading you actually do

·
Registered
2,333 Posts
On 2002-02-19 19:36, Mike97ZJ wrote:
Can you really lift an IFS truck that high, and if you could, wouldn't the tires that would fit under it toally kill the axles and cv's?

Thanks.

Scroll down and see a pinkish 21" IFS.

http://www.pavementsucks.com/forums/viewtopic.php?topic=9628&forum=10

I don't know how it will hold up, esp. offroad. I don't think there are specific body lift laws, just generic lift laws. Whiplash makes a 12" lift but I think for 2WD only.

·
Banned
2,769 Posts
whiplash makes kits that go up to 15" suspension lifts and that is for four wheel drive. not to sure what 2wd systems they have but either way they are crap

·
Registered
959 Posts
Why not just swap in a SFA and do it right?

most people that lift IFS trucks that high dont care if it will hold up or not, its all show. and IMO IFS looks cleaner than SFA so i can see why chevy guys leave the IFS and go that high. they dont care if it will last on the trail cause it will never see a trail.

·
Registered
1,649 Posts
Gopher brought up a good point about how those rediculously high IFS trucks never see the trail.

A 4.5" body lift? I hope Punkin doesn't find this topic. I'm kinda sketchy about a 3" let alone a 4.5'!

The owners of trucks can do what they want, but IF they ask for opinions all I can say is we warned ya!

·
Registered
387 Posts
yeah whiplash makes the 12" and a 4.5" body they used to be so affordable it wasnt funny 2200 with a front driveline installed then they got caught for insurance fraud and went under so really there is no longer a whiplash but they still produce the kits and use the name the first kits fell apart on the freeway but the new kits are actually nice setups for IFS

·
Registered
2,207 Posts
If you want a good big IFS lift, cognito motorsoports is the way to go. and a 4.5" body lift is not a good thing no matter what someone says. id rather not look in between my frame and body through the entire truck.

·
Registered
387 Posts
yeah for sure but actually on the newer chevys with the 4.5 you dont see through long as you put the lil pieces of rubber they sell for the wheel wells still id be afraid the cab would break loose or something

·
Registered
3,312 Posts
I dont know how much lift there is on this piece o yoda crudd... but click on them for a bigger pic. Something I have had a pic of since 1997...
http://68.44.94.46/clean.htm
that yoda is runnin 44's!!!!
here is one of the pics but there are a few...
[img=288x216]http://68.44.94.46/pics/jpg/clean/clean10.jpg[/img]
p.s. there is a front driveshaft!!!!!!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts